Buoyant Force Problem: Fraction of Length in More-Dense Liquid | Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the fraction of a uniform cylinder's length that is immersed in a more-dense liquid, given the densities of the two liquids and the cylinder. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using Archimedes' principle and hydrostatic pressure, and eventually arrives at the correct equation of ρl=ρ1l+(ρ2-ρ1)l2, which can be rearranged to find the desired fraction of l2/l.
amw2829

Homework Statement

A less-dense liquid of density ρ1 floats on top of a more-dense liquid of density ρ2 . A uniform cylinder of length l and densityρ, with ρ1< ρ<ρ2, floats at the interface with its long axis vertical.

What fraction of the length is in the more-dense liquid?

Homework Equations

F=ρVg

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could use Vf=ρ/ρ2 but the final answer should include ρ1 and possibly l. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the magnitude of the buoyant force in general?

ehild

ehild said:
What is the magnitude of the buoyant force in general?

ehild

ρ1Vg + ρ2Vg ?

What is V? ehild

ehild said:
What is V?

ehild

∏r^2h...but I don't have r

Is V the volume of the whole rod?

ehild

ehild said:
Is V the volume of the whole rod?

ehild

From what I gathered it is a cylinder.

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced. The rod is immersed partly in one fluid and the other part is in the other fluid. It can not displace its whole volume from both fluids. Assume that x length is immersed in fluid 2, and the other piece is in fluid 1. What is the total buoyant force in terms of the volume of the rod?

ehild

ehild said:
The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced. The rod is immersed partly in one fluid and the other part is in the other fluid. It can not displace its whole volume from both fluids. Assume that x length is immersed in fluid 2, and the other piece is in fluid 1. What is the total buoyant force in terms of the volume of the rod?

ehild

I'm still not sure how to calculate that with the given variables.

Write up Archimedes principle.

ehild

ehild said:
Write up Archimedes principle.

ehild

F=weight of the fluid displaced.

amw2829 said:
F=weight of the fluid displaced.

The rod floats, it is in equilibrium. How is F related to the weight of the rod?
ehild

Last edited:
Hello, I am kind of stuck on this question too (well I have an answer which I am not too sure about)

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3685/lratio.jpg this is a simple diagram that I drew.

Let F1 be the Buoyant force of less dense liquid and it is pointing downwards
while F2 is the buoyant force of more dense liquid is pointing upwards.

Since it is floating in middle I have assumed it to be at equilibrium, and hence F2= F1+ FG

I have used A as the area of cylinder since it is same for all regions. l1 for length of cylinder in less dense liquid and l2 for the length of cylinder in more dense liquid.

Since g appears on both sides of equation I have ignored it ( by divide the whole thing by g)

my equation ended up looking like the following;

ρ2Al21Al1+ρAl

I have divided both sides by A leading to

ρ2l21l1+ρl

I have divided both sides by ρ2 which leads to

l2=(ρ1l1+ρl)/ρ2

the question asks what fraction is in more dense liquid which is l2/l

1l1+ρl)/ρ2l

simplifying this leads to
1l12l)+(ρ/ρ2)

Does this seem correct?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
any help would be appreciated

Regards

The hydrostatic pressure must be the same along the red line in the figure. The red line is at depth l=l1+l2 with respect to the top of block. The change of the hydrostatic pressure from zero to depth l is either ρgl or ρ1gl12gl2. The two pressures must be equal.

You have to express l2/l in terms of the densities. For that, use that l1=l-l2.

ehild

Attachments

• floating.JPG
    floating.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 786
ehild said:
The hydrostatic pressure must be the same along the red line in the figure. The red line is at depth l=l1+l2 with respect to the top of block. The change of the hydrostatic pressure from zero to depth l is either ρgl or ρ1gl12gl2. The two pressures must be equal.

You have to express l2/l in terms of the densities. For that, use that l1=l-l2.

ehild
Hi and thank you for your reply.

I understand what you mean, but I can't seem to solve l2/l easily, the answer I got was l2/l=(ρ-ρ1l+ρ1l2)/(ρ2l2)

I think I have made a mistake somewhere. I started by setting ρgl = ρ1gl12gl2

divided both sides by g, took ρ1l1 to other side of equation giving me ρl1l1 = ρ2l2, then used l1=l-l2
and divided both sides by l to get l2/l.

That lead me to l2/l=(ρ-ρ1l+ρ1l2)/(ρ2l2) but I still have l2 on both sides of the equation.

Any obvious error sources that you can see?

Regards

Last edited:
bayan said:
I think I have made a mistake somewhere. I started by setting ρgl = ρ1gl12gl2

divided both sides by g, took ρ1l1 to other side of equation giving me ρl1l1 = ρ2l2,

It is wrong from here. When you take a term to the other side of the equation, the sign will change. Substitute l-l2 for l1 first, collect the terms with l1 at one side of the equation, and the terms with l on the other side.

ehild

ehild said:
It is wrong from here. When you take a term to the other side of the equation, the sign will change. Substitute l-l2 for l1 first, collect the terms with l1 at one side of the equation, and the terms with l on the other side.

ehild
Hi, sorry I had - minus sign in my hand written workout, for some reason I must have put a plus sign, another one where I only put l1=l-l2 at the end lead me to l2/l=(ρ-ρ1(l-l2))/(ρ2)

Still end up with l & l2 on both sides for some reason

I will upload hand written workout in a few hours

bayan said:
Hi, sorry I had - minus sign in my hand written workout, for some reason I must have put a plus sign,

another one where I only put l1=l-l2 at the end lead me to l2/l=(ρ-ρ1(l-l2))/(ρ2)

Still end up with l & l2 on both sides for some reason

I will upload hand written workout in a few hours

You must collect the l2 terms on one side of the equation.

You have the equation

ρl=ρ1l12l2.

Substitute l1=l-l2:

ρl=ρ1(l-l2)+ρ2l2

Expand:

ρl=ρ1l-ρ1l22l2

Collect the terms with l2:

ρl=ρ1l+(ρ21)l2

Bring ρ1l to the left-hand side.

Can you proceed?

ehild

I ended up with the following

ρ-ρ121 = l2/l

Does that seem ok?

bayan said:

I ended up with the following

ρ-ρ121 = l2/l

Does that seem ok?

You need to add some parentheses.

ehild

What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, such as water or air, due to the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

How is the buoyant force calculated?

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. It can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where Fb is buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the "fraction of length" in the buoyant force problem?

The fraction of length is the ratio of the length of the object that is submerged in the more-dense liquid to the total length of the object. It is represented by the letter "f" in the formula f = L1 / (L1 + L2), where L1 is the length of the object in the more-dense liquid and L2 is the length of the object in the less-dense liquid.

How does the fraction of length affect the buoyant force?

The fraction of length directly affects the buoyant force, as it determines the amount of the object that is submerged in the more-dense liquid. The greater the fraction of length, the greater the buoyant force will be, as there is more fluid being displaced by the object.

What is the solution to the buoyant force problem involving the fraction of length in more-dense liquid?

The solution to this problem involves using the formula Fb = (ρ1 - ρ2)gfL1 / (L1 + L2), where ρ1 is the density of the more-dense liquid, ρ2 is the density of the less-dense liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, f is the fraction of length, and L1 and L2 are the lengths of the object in the more-dense and less-dense liquids, respectively. This formula takes into account the difference in densities between the two liquids and the fraction of length submerged in the more-dense liquid to calculate the buoyant force on the object.