What is the magnitude of buoyant force acting on the block?

In summary, the magnitude of the buoyant force acting on the block of wood floating in water is equal to the weight of the block, which is 0.5N. This is because the block is in equilibrium, so the buoyant force must balance the weight of the block.
mike2007
A 0.5kg block of wood is floating in water. What is the magnitude of buoyant force acting on the block?

I know that Fb = (density)(g)(V)
The density of water is 1000kg/m3.
g = 9.8m/s

There is no way i can calculate the volume of the block with the given information. Also i know the water displaced equals the weight of the block.

What am i missing to get the buoyant force?

Physics news on Phys.org
How large does the buoyant force need to be if it has to exactly cancel the gravitational force acting on the block?

The fact that the block is floating is crucial!

If the buoyant force has to cancel gravity then it would be

Fb = 1000 - (9.81*0.5)
=995.1
That looks wrong, i think i need the volume of the block

mike2007 said:
If the buoyant force has to cancel gravity then it would be

Fb = 1000 - (9.81*0.5)
=995.1
That looks wrong, i think i need the volume of the block
That is wrong. Since the block is floating, the buoyant force does cancel gravity, which means Fb equals the force of gravity. But what are you doing subtracting the weight from the density of water? :bugeye: (Since the units don't even match, such a subtraction has no physical meaning.)

You don't need the volume of the block. (Hint: It's easier than you think!)

OK here goes
Like you said, since the block is floating the buoyant force is equal to the density of the water - the weight of the block
Fb = 1000kg/m3 - 0.5kg
=999.5
That still looks wrong

mike2007 said:
Like you said, since the block is floating the buoyant force is equal to the density of the water - the weight of the block
Reread what I wrote. I never said such a thing--in fact I said that such a calculation makes no sense!

That is true, Sorry i misunderstod it but i will go again from the basis of the principle. "Archimedes’ principle states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced" so i am now sayin the buoyant force is 0.5N
? I am lost now if that is not the answer. please provide more guidance

Right, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced.

What is the weight of the displaced fluid if the block is floating?

Hence, what is the buoyant force?

Note: 'weight' is not the same as 'mass'!

mike2007 said:
That is true, Sorry i misunderstod it but i will go again from the basis of the principle. "Archimedes’ principle states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced" so i am now sayin the buoyant force is 0.5N
Actually, what you need here is not Archimedes' principle, but just the conditions for equilibrium. There are only two forces acting on the block:
its weight, acting down
the buoyant force, acting up​
These must balance, since the block is in equilibrium, so the buoyant force just equals the weight (not the mass) of the block. If the mass of the block is 0.5 kg, what's its weight?

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with the higher pressure at the bottom pushing the object upwards.

2. How is buoyant force calculated?

The magnitude of buoyant force can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of buoyant force?

The magnitude of buoyant force is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object submerged, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by the shape and size of the object and the depth at which it is submerged.

4. How does the density of the object affect the magnitude of buoyant force?

The density of the object does not affect the magnitude of buoyant force. However, it does affect the overall behavior of the object in the fluid. If the object's density is greater than the fluid, it will sink. If the object's density is less than the fluid, it will float.

5. How is buoyant force related to Archimedes' Principle?

Buoyant force is directly related to Archimedes' Principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This principle explains why objects with a lower density than the fluid they are submerged in will float, while objects with a higher density will sink.