Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Burn piles gone wild!

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We had to drop about 30 small trees. We paid to have them dropped as there were power lines and the house to contend with. Then I started with a chainsaw on Thursday with an estimated four semis full of trees - according to the bid - and we continued sawing and burning all weekend. Talk about an overwhelming job! Today my arms don't want to bend...:cry: I feel like The Hulk.

I think about half is gone and we have two more burn piles, each about the size of a car, ready to go. One didn't take off so it looks like I'll have to use gasoline on that one...fun stuff!!! Tsu LOVES doing burn piles :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2
    I once had to do a similar project, although it wasn't with as many trees. We had about twenty, but I stacked them all together and lit it on fire. Unfortuantly it was just a tad bit too big to control, and before long the fire was threatening both my house and the surrounding forest. By the time we finally got it put out I had taken as sacred vow never to come near a fire again.

Ten minutes later we seperated the piles and lit them again with gasoline. :wink:

4. Mar 13, 2006 #3
    Why is it you burn them right away instead of storing them to be used as fire place wood?

5. Mar 13, 2006 #4
    Burn piles are mostly the brush from trees..not the good wood.

6. Mar 13, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, we burned it all. We don't burn wood anymore and it turns out that wood in and of itself has no value. The only value is the work that it takes to get it. I have offered free wood to at least ten people, many of whom wanted to tell me all about what I should do with it to make money, but, interestingly, none of them were interested. :rolleyes:

But that's okay. With the other 180 trees or so, many of which are quite large, our carbon footprint is probably a negative impression. :biggrin:

7. Mar 24, 2006 #6
    Burning piles? :eek: Sounds like someone needs some industrial strength Preparation H! :cry:

-Dan

8. Mar 24, 2006 #7
    How big diameter trees were they? What type of trees? Anything of value for lumber?

9. Mar 24, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All little fir trees with some maple mixed in. Not more than an 8 inch diameter at the base less two that were approaching a 12 inch diameter.

We have managed to save most of the big logs by incorporating them into the landscaping. Only one or maybe two burn piles up top, with one big one ready down in the pasture, and we're about done with this leg of the project. :yuck:

10. Mar 25, 2006 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?