Burn Piles: A Tale of Overwhelming Work and Fun

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Dan chainsawed about 30 small trees on Thursday and continued sawing and burning all weekend. Today his arms don't want to bend from the amount of work he's done.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We had to drop about 30 small trees. We paid to have them dropped as there were power lines and the house to contend with. Then I started with a chainsaw on Thursday with an estimated four semis full of trees - according to the bid - and we continued sawing and burning all weekend. Talk about an overwhelming job! Today my arms don't want to bend...:cry: I feel like The Hulk.

I think about half is gone and we have two more burn piles, each about the size of a car, ready to go. One didn't take off so it looks like I'll have to use gasoline on that one...fun stuff! Tsu LOVES doing burn piles :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I once had to do a similar project, although it wasn't with as many trees. We had about twenty, but I stacked them all together and lit it on fire. Unfortuantly it was just a tad bit too big to control, and before long the fire was threatening both my house and the surrounding forest. By the time we finally got it put out I had taken as sacred vow never to come near a fire again.

Ten minutes later we separated the piles and lit them again with gasoline. :wink:

Why is it you burn them right away instead of storing them to be used as fire place wood?

Burn piles are mostly the brush from trees..not the good wood.

Nope, we burned it all. We don't burn wood anymore and it turns out that wood in and of itself has no value. The only value is the work that it takes to get it. I have offered free wood to at least ten people, many of whom wanted to tell me all about what I should do with it to make money, but, interestingly, none of them were interested. :rolleyes:

But that's okay. With the other 180 trees or so, many of which are quite large, our carbon footprint is probably a negative impression. :biggrin:

Burning piles? :eek: Sounds like someone needs some industrial strength Preparation H! :cry:

-Dan

How big diameter trees were they? What type of trees? Anything of value for lumber?

All little fir trees with some maple mixed in. Not more than an 8 inch diameter at the base less two that were approaching a 12 inch diameter.

We have managed to save most of the big logs by incorporating them into the landscaping. Only one or maybe two burn piles up top, with one big one ready down in the pasture, and we're about done with this leg of the project. :yuck:

topsquark said:
Burning piles? :eek: Sounds like someone needs some industrial strength Preparation H! :cry:

-Dan
:rofl: :rofl:

1. What is a burn pile?

A burn pile is a pile of debris, such as branches, leaves, and other yard waste, that is burned in a controlled manner to dispose of it. This can be done for various reasons, such as clearing land or getting rid of unwanted vegetation.

2. Why do burn piles require overwhelming work?

Burn piles require overwhelming work because they often involve collecting and organizing a large amount of debris, as well as monitoring the fire and ensuring it is properly contained and extinguished. It can also be physically demanding to tend to the fire and move heavy materials.

3. Are there any safety concerns with burn piles?

Yes, there are several safety concerns with burn piles. It is important to make sure the fire is contained and away from any structures or flammable materials. Proper protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should also be worn to prevent burns or smoke inhalation.

4. Can burn piles be enjoyable?

Yes, burn piles can be enjoyable for some people. It can be a satisfying way to get rid of excess debris and create a cozy atmosphere. However, it is important to follow safety precautions and local regulations.

5. What are some alternatives to burn piles?

There are several alternatives to burn piles, such as composting, chipping, or using a green waste recycling service. These methods can also be more environmentally friendly and can help improve soil quality.