Burning Calories: Calculating Time to Radiate 285 Calorie Donut

• Thread starter iseidthat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calories
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the time it takes for a person to radiate away the energy acquired from consuming a 285 Calorie donut, given that they radiate about 67 W of power at room temperature. The solution involves converting the calorie measurement to joules and then dividing it by the power to find the time in seconds. This result can then be converted to hours.
iseidthat

Homework Statement

If a person radiates about 67 W of power at room temperature, how long does it take (h) for a person to radiate away the energy acquired by consuming a 285 Calorie donut?

Homework Equations

i know W=J/s
no clue, i need one that involves time.

The Attempt at a Solution

i've tried 285/67=4.25 sec...but that's wrong...
and i don't think the problem is asking in Kcals
help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to figure out how many joules there are in 285 calories. And I'll bet they are talking about Kcal's. They almost always are when referring to food.

ok...
285 Cal=285,000 cal (4.186)= 1.19e6 J

how do i relate it to time though?
do i just divide it by the power?
1.19e6/67=17806 s/60/60=4.95 h
ok thanks

Sure. J/(J/sec)=sec.

1. How do I calculate the time it takes to burn 285 calories from eating a donut?

The time it takes to burn 285 calories from eating a donut depends on various factors, such as your weight, age, gender, and activity level. You can use an online calorie calculator or consult with a fitness professional to get a personalized estimate.

2. How many calories does a donut contain?

The number of calories in a donut varies depending on the size, type, and toppings. On average, a glazed donut contains around 230-300 calories.

3. Is it possible to burn off the calories from a donut by exercising?

Yes, it is possible to burn off the calories from a donut by exercising. However, the amount of time it takes to burn off the calories depends on the intensity and duration of the exercise, as well as your individual metabolic rate.

4. Can I just skip a meal to make up for the calories from a donut?

Skip a meal to make up for the calories from a donut is not recommended. Skipping meals can lead to unhealthy eating habits and may cause you to overeat later on. It is important to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet.

5. How accurate are calorie tracking apps and devices?

Calorie tracking apps and devices can provide a general estimate of the calories burned during an activity, but they are not always accurate. Factors such as individual metabolism and environmental conditions can affect the accuracy of these devices. It is best to use them as a guide and not rely on them completely for tracking calories burned.