1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Burning Candles

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two candles A and B are 8cm and 14cm long, respectively, and are lit at hte same time. If candle B burns twice as fast as candle A, how long are they when their lengths are the same. How long is candle A when candle B burns out?

2. Relevant equations

Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a table of length's for equal time width's. So when A is 7cm ling B will be 12cm long etc. I found that they would be 2cm a piece when they are the same length and that candle A would be 1cm long when candle B burns out. Is this correct?

More importantly how do I answer this question algebraically? The above seems to me like the dumb approach, but I just can't see how to model teh problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Your answers are right. Let LB = Length Burned of A

8 - LB = Height(a)

14 - 2*LB = Height(b)

When Heights are equal LB = 6, Height(a) = 2
    When Height(b) = 0, T = 7, then Height(a) = 8 - 7 = 1

4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Thanks a million LowlyPion. I kept trying to use series sums etc, but I just couldn't get it to work. Your answer is much simpler!

Vuldoraq

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?