Solving Candle Burn Time Problem with Algebra

In summary: A = 8 - xB = 14 - 2xWhere x represents the length burned for candle A. Then, you can set A equal to B to find the point where their lengths are the same:8 - x = 14 - 2xSolving for x, you get x = 6. Therefore, when candle A has burned 6cm, it will be the same length as candle B. And when candle B burns out, candle A will have burned 8 - 7 = 1cm.
Vuldoraq

Homework Statement

Two candles A and B are 8cm and 14cm long, respectively, and are lit at hte same time. If candle B burns twice as fast as candle A, how long are they when their lengths are the same. How long is candle A when candle B burns out?

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a table of length's for equal time width's. So when A is 7cm ling B will be 12cm long etc. I found that they would be 2cm a piece when they are the same length and that candle A would be 1cm long when candle B burns out. Is this correct?

More importantly how do I answer this question algebraically? The above seems to me like the dumb approach, but I just can't see how to model teh problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Vuldoraq said:

Homework Statement

Two candles A and B are 8cm and 14cm long, respectively, and are lit at hte same time. If candle B burns twice as fast as candle A, how long are they when their lengths are the same. How long is candle A when candle B burns out?

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a table of length's for equal time width's. So when A is 7cm ling B will be 12cm long etc. I found that they would be 2cm a piece when they are the same length and that candle A would be 1cm long when candle B burns out. Is this correct?

More importantly how do I answer this question algebraically? The above seems to me like the dumb approach, but I just can't see how to model teh problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Your answers are right. Let LB = Length Burned of A

8 - LB = Height(a)

14 - 2*LB = Height(b)

When Heights are equal LB = 6, Height(a) = 2
When Height(b) = 0, T = 7, then Height(a) = 8 - 7 = 1

Thanks a million LowlyPion. I kept trying to use series sums etc, but I just couldn't get it to work. Your answer is much simpler!

Vuldoraq

1. How can algebra be used to solve the candle burn time problem?

Algebra can be used to solve the candle burn time problem by setting up an equation using the known variables such as the length of the candle, the rate at which it burns, and the total burn time. By manipulating and solving the equation, the unknown variable of burn time can be determined.

2. What information is needed to solve the candle burn time problem using algebra?

To solve the candle burn time problem using algebra, you will need to know the length of the candle, the rate at which it burns, and the total burn time. These variables will be used to set up an equation and solve for the unknown variable of burn time.

3. Can algebra be used for different types of candles?

Yes, algebra can be used for different types of candles as long as the necessary information is known. This method can be applied to any type of candle, whether it is a tapered candle, a pillar candle, or a jar candle.

4. Are there any limitations to using algebra to solve the candle burn time problem?

There are some limitations to using algebra to solve the candle burn time problem. This method assumes that the candle burns at a constant rate, which may not always be the case in real life. Additionally, external factors such as drafts or the type of wax may affect the burn time.

5. Can algebra be used to predict the burn time of a candle?

Yes, algebra can be used to predict the burn time of a candle by setting up an equation and solving for the unknown variable of burn time. However, as mentioned before, the actual burn time may vary due to external factors.