Is My CPU Overloaded? Possible Causes and Solutions for Crackling Noise

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary: This can cause a sudden increase in friction and noise, as the disk tries to grip the platters.When a HDD are near its lifespan, it starts like a crackling sound, and after some time suddenly starts to sound like a "dentists gear".
ank_gl
BURNING cpu??

since last 2-3 days, whenever my system gets overloaded(not just overloaded, even any process popping up in between some other one), i hear some crackling noise over my processor. is something wrong in there??
i know i don't have enough wattage SMPS, is it related something to this?? i have a 400 watt smps, whereas smps for a core2duo processor shoud be atleast 500 watts.
but then again, i never had this crackling noise ever earlier

Computer science news on Phys.org
SMPS?

Download Speedfan and check. Anything over 60C and you're in trouble.

Semiconductors don't make any noise until they explode. I know of no physical mechanism that could cause a semiconductor to make a "crackling" sound, so I doubt the crackling noise you're hearing has anything to do with your processor.

- Warren

The bearings in your fan could have gone however.

Kurdt said:

Quite true. In fact, as your CPU does more work (and produces more heat), your system health monitor may be slightly increasing the fan speed. At some critical speed, something is either resonating with the air flow, or a bearing is showing its age. This is much more likely than a mysterious CPU crackling.

- Warren

Kurdt said:

x2. Sounds like a fan to me. ank_gl, open up the case and with it running, see if the noise stops when you press on the cpu fan with your finger.

B. Elliott said:
x2. Sounds like a fan to me. ank_gl, open up the case and with it running, see if the noise stops when you press on the cpu fan with your finger.

That way you'll make sure that the problem is the fan. I think just listening with the case off is sufficient to diagnose that problem.

i did monitor the speed fan and the core temperature in BIOS. they are normal, being about 3500-4000rpm and 38C-45C. the heat sink is working fine. the sound comes only when the cpu is under heavy attack ie many many processes. i just said its CPU, but i am not sure of it, it might be from the hard disk

and sorry for a lil late update

the sound is NOT continuous, it only shows up at high CPU usage

nup, i know how it sounds when the fan goes out, one of my friend had his gpu fan(video card heat sink) making those weird sounds

Last edited:
A little over a year ago i had a 40GB hard drive, that got overloaded with corrrupted data (virus or trojan) i think. The free memory went from about 32GB to around 9GB in a short time, it seemed that the voice coils were activating the read/write heads so fast, that a scratchy sound was being emitted from the hard drive. I never resolved the problem, and finally replaced the drive with a new one.

Well, a thrashing hard drive can certainly sound like "crackling" or "scratching," but it doesn't mean anything's wrong with your computer (at all).

- Warren

If it's the hard drive, maybe you need to defrag your drive.
Does the drive have a S.M.A.R.T. feature?

The link I posted above makes reference to the thermal grease interface to the heat sink.

Kurdt said:

Very possible, i recommend he replace it and apply a fresh coat of Arctic thermal 5

Could be an induction coil. Do you see any that aren't covered in epoxy? When you hear the whine you could try gently pressing on the coil with a pencil eraser. My video card actually emits a slight whine when the gpu is fully loaded... it's due to an induction coil. The noise just isn't loud enough to bother correcting, that and it isn't damaging.

Could also be a bad capacitor in the PSU, the extra draw from the CPU under load causing the cap to whine.

Reply to: "Crackling" sound.

Hi,

This is absolutely a HDD that soon will stop to work. It fit with that you hear the sound when the computer perform heavy workloads.

The "crackling" sound do come from the HDD, i recognice this as exactly the same symptom i have had several times myself on computer thast begin to be old, or on computers that stayed on for 24hrs., run for yrs.

When a HDD are near its lifespan, it starts like a crackling sound, and after some time suddenly starts to sound like a "dentists gear".

I can ofcource not be sure without actually inspecting your computer "in the field", but i am pretty sure you should prepare for HDD change.

thj

1. What does it mean when my CPU is burning?

When someone says their CPU is burning, it means that their computer's central processing unit (CPU) is overheating. This can be caused by excessive usage, poor ventilation, or a malfunctioning cooling system.

2. How can I tell if my CPU is overheating?

You can tell if your CPU is overheating by checking the temperature using a monitoring software. Most computers also have built-in thermal sensors that will alert you if the temperature rises too high.

3. What are the consequences of a burning CPU?

A burning CPU can lead to a number of consequences, including decreased performance, system crashes, and even permanent damage to the CPU. It is important to address the issue promptly to avoid these consequences.

4. How can I prevent my CPU from burning?

To prevent your CPU from burning, make sure your computer is well-ventilated and the cooling system is functioning properly. You can also avoid running too many programs at once and regularly clean out any dust or debris that may be blocking airflow.

5. What should I do if my CPU is burning?

If you suspect that your CPU is burning, immediately shut down your computer and allow it to cool down. Check for any obstructions in the cooling system and make sure the computer is well-ventilated. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the CPU or seek professional help.