Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Burning nitrogen

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    i was wondering if there was a substance that could be burned in the airs natural nitrogen (72%) that would release pure oxygen and a solid state waste product but no gaseous waste products

any speculations?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2
    How would it burn in nitrogen when combustion requres oxygen.

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    is it not possibly for a substand to react rapidly with nitrogen upon ignition considering that the substance contains the energy required

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4
  6. Mar 26, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean an Oxygen generator?
    There are chemical reactions which release oxygen (from oxygen containing compounds) they don't use anything from the atmosphere so it doesn't matter what that is.
    They are called "oxygen candles" in industry and are used in emergency fire shelters in mining etc and some aircraft as an alternative to oxygen tanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_oxygen_generator

7. Mar 26, 2009 #6
    Ahhh thats cool, I wondered how they created oxygen on space stations. I like learning new things :D

8. Mar 26, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's only as an emergency backup - the main oxygen supply is generated from recycled water using electrical power from the solar panels.

Chemical oxygen generates obviously give you less ovygen than pure compressed oxygen but you don't have the weight of the pressureised tanks. The big advantage is that they are mainatenance free and safe (mostly) - they just sit there for years until you need them.

9. Mar 26, 2009 #8
    so are these oxygen generaters available to the public?

10. Mar 26, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can probably buy them from mining / aviation safety equipement companies.
    There are probably shipping restrictions and I don't imagine they are cheap compared to just buying an oxygen cylinder from your local welding supply shop.

11. Apr 2, 2009 #10

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

lithium perchlorate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook