Exploring Salt Burning: A Guide to Different Colored Flames

• Thread starter xJuggleboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different salts to create colorful flames in a campfire. The participant suggests using a list of common salts and their corresponding flame colors, as well as clarifying the difference between salts and ions. It is also mentioned that these salts do not burn, but rather add color to the flames. A helpful resource for this topic is also provided.
xJuggleboy
Does anyone know of a list I can check to see what salts burn diffrent colors?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
xJuggleboy said:
Does anyone know of a list I can check to see what salts burn diffrent colors?

when you mean salts, you mean ions yes?

In general, i find the ones you need to know are:

metal
flame colour

barium
light green

calcium
brick red

copper
blue/green

lead
blue/white

potassium
lilac

sodium
bright orange

Im not sure if you asked this, but if it is, i hope it helps.

Bladibla said:
when you mean salts, you mean ions yes?

Im not really sure wha tI mean... I was told that if you put diffrent kinds of salt in a fire they would burn diffrent colors... I was thinking of making some cool fire effects in a camp fire. ISo I need to know what burns what color :confused:

what about cations?

xJuggleboy said:
Im not really sure wha tI mean... I was told that if you put diffrent kinds of salt in a fire they would burn diffrent colors... I was thinking of making some cool fire effects in a camp fire. ISo I need to know what burns what color :confused:
Salts are made up of a metal and the other bit. For example table salt is Sodium Chloride.
Sodium is a metal, it's only the metal that effects the color, giving the colors in the list above.

Also note that in most cases these salts don't burn - they just give color to flame.

Can You Burn Salt?

Salt is a common household compound used primarily for seasoning food. It is composed of sodium chloride (NaCl) and is not a substance that can be burned in the typical sense. Let's explore some common questions about burning salt:

Q1: Can Salt Undergo Combustion?

No, salt cannot undergo combustion. Combustion is a chemical reaction that typically involves the oxidation of a substance and the release of heat and light. Salt, being a compound of sodium and chlorine, does not have the properties necessary for combustion. When exposed to an open flame, salt does not catch fire or burn.

Q2: What Happens When You Heat Salt?

When you heat salt, it undergoes physical changes, not chemical combustion. As salt is heated, it can change its state from a solid (table salt) to a liquid (molten salt) and eventually to a gas (as it vaporizes). The process of heating salt is used in various applications, such as in cooking, where salt is added to hot pans to enhance the flavor of food.

Q3: Are There Any Chemical Reactions with Salt and Fire?

While salt itself does not burn, it can interact with fire in certain ways. For example, some salts, when added to a fire, can produce colorful flames. These salts are often used in fireworks and pyrotechnics to create vibrant displays. However, this is not the result of salt burning but rather the emission of colored light due to the presence of specific metal ions in the salts.

Q4: Is It Safe to Heat Salt for Culinary Purposes?

Heating salt for culinary purposes, such as in cooking or baking, is safe and commonly done. It is used to enhance the flavor of various dishes and can also be used for techniques like salt-crusted baking, where salt is used to encase and cook food, providing a unique flavor and texture.

In summary, salt cannot be burned in the traditional sense of combustion. It undergoes physical changes when heated, transitioning from a solid to a liquid and then to a gas. While salt can interact with fire to produce colored flames in certain cases, it does not burn as a fuel.