Burning wood with a magnifying glass

In summary, the conversation discusses the practicality of using a magnifying glass to burn wood and how the focal ratio affects the temperature of the wood. One person asks for an explanation on how the focal ratio affects the temperature, while another person explains that the size of the image produced by the magnifying glass is what determines the strength of the magnification. The conversation then shifts to how to accurately measure the magnification of a magnifying glass and how companies determine the magnification number.
einai
Hi,

In our class, we were asked whether it's practical to use a magnifying glass to focus sunlight to burn wood. One question really bothers me.

Could somebody please explain to me how the focal ratio (focal length of converging lens divided by its diameter) affects the temperature of the wood? It seems to me that only the collecting area (cross-sectional area) of the lens matters. I mean, no matter how long the focal length is, the light rays are still focused to the same point, right?

Thanks in advance!

Science news on Phys.org
The light is not actually focussed to a point. What you get is an image of the sun. The size of the image will be (image distance/objectdistance) sun dia. Since the image distance is very close to the focal length of the lens, a shorter focal length will produce a smaller image and a hotter spot on the wood.

Measuring magnification

How to Measure magnification
How can I see how strong a magnifying glass is?

I bought this magnifying glass http://www.liangdianup.com/inventory/189901.htm and I want

to know how to test it to see how strong it is. I hear a lot of people talk about

magnifying and how strong the magnification is, but I would like to know the true

magnification of my magnifying glass. I have a few of them and some seem stronger then

others. How can I rate these? How can I pin a correct number on mine? How do the companies

that make these come up with these numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the science behind burning wood with a magnifying glass?

The process of burning wood with a magnifying glass is known as solar combustion. This occurs when the focused rays of sunlight from a magnifying glass heat up and ignite a small area of the wood, causing it to catch fire.

How does the magnifying glass concentrate the sunlight to start a fire?

The lens of the magnifying glass acts as a convex lens, which means it bends the rays of light and focuses them onto a single point. When this concentrated light hits the wood, it becomes intense enough to start a fire.

Can any type of magnifying glass be used to start a fire?

Yes, any lens with a convex shape can be used to start a fire. This includes magnifying glasses, eyeglasses, and even water droplets on a leaf or piece of plastic.

What type of wood is best for starting a fire with a magnifying glass?

Dry, thin, and light-colored wood works best for starting a fire with a magnifying glass. This is because it absorbs and reflects more light, making it easier to reach the temperature needed for combustion.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when starting a fire with a magnifying glass?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when using a magnifying glass to start a fire. The concentrated light can cause eye damage, so it is important to wear protective eyewear. It is also important to have water or a fire extinguisher nearby in case the fire gets out of control.