How can I calculate the burst speed of a rotating disk?

In summary, determining the theoretical burst speed of a rotating disk involves calculating the stress within the disk, which is a function of the mass distribution and rotational speed. The failure criterion must then be determined, which can be the local principal stress exceeding the yield stress, ultimate tensile stress, or fracture toughness of the material. Software development and empirical test data can be helpful in accurately modeling and predicting the burst speed.
michaeldouglassewell
How do I determine the theoretical burst speed of a rotating disk, such as a flywheel? I went through my physics textbooks from 30 years ago with no luck. I googled, and found WAY too much information, but still no equation.

Is this similar to the formula for hoop stress in a pressure vessel, only using centrifugal force instead of gas pressure?

Could I figure that the entire mass was at the radius of gyration?

I'm not sure how to determine the stress distribution.

I've been out of school for 3 decades now and I'm not as sharp at integral calculus as I used to be...

Thank you,
Michael

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It may be you have not found the equation because nobody can really nail it down. It's not my area of expertise, but I vaguely remember thinking about this problem once before. I'll pass along what comes to mind, for what little it might be worth.

One way a disk might fail is to break in two at a diameter. It would involve some calculus, but you could find the centripetal force components applying a tensile stress along a diameter plane.

With no calculus, you could consider a volume element at the edge of the disk bounded by two diameter planes and an inner cylindrical surface. You could use the tensile strength of the materal to calculate the maximum force that could be achieved from the inner cylindrical surface, plus the radial components at the diameter surfaces for any such element. (You might know how to throw in some sheer force stuff at these surfaces.) You could then calculate the spin rate that would be needed to exceed the maximum force. You might try different shapes with different angular separations between the diameter surfaces, and different cylindrical surface radii and see if there is a weakest case. I have no idea if this would even get you close to the right answer, but I think it would be relatively easy to program the model and see what comes out of it.

There are engineering forums further down on the home page. Give those guys a crack at your question.

michaeldouglassewell said:
How do I determine the theoretical burst speed of a rotating disk, such as a flywheel? I went through my physics textbooks from 30 years ago with no luck. I googled, and found WAY too much information, but still no equation.

Is this similar to the formula for hoop stress in a pressure vessel, only using centrifugal force instead of gas pressure?

Could I figure that the entire mass was at the radius of gyration?

I'm not sure how to determine the stress distribution.

I've been out of school for 3 decades now and I'm not as sharp at integral calculus as I used to be...

Thank you,
Michael
There is probably a general solution already worked out for the stress within a rotating disc, which of course is a function of the mass distribution and rotational speed.

Then one would have to determine the failure criterion, e.g. the local principal stress exceeds the yield stress, or perhaps ultimate tensile stress, or still more appropriately the local stress intensity and use elastic (or elastic-plastic) fracture mechanics, which presupposes critical flaw at the peak stress location (likely at the junction of disk surface and bore).

The yield stress, UTS and fracture toughness are mechanical properties of the material.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
The yield stress, UTS and fracture toughness are mechanical properties of the material.

What is UTS?

Ultimate Tensile Strength

Flywheel burst calculation

I've been down this road myself. LOTS of calculations will get you many different answers. Real life will be a defect, even microscopic where crack initiation and fast fracture occurs. If you are just looking for theoretical -go with fast fracture calcs. This is what really happens. I've developed a test method with Detroit Testing Laboratories to perform these tests for an actual application. They offered software development for modelling and help us in future projects. I turned it down because it seemed the code would have to be tailored specific -meaning empirical test data to modify calcs/modelling to agree with the test results. But, in 5-10 years -maybe they've made headway. If he's still there, the contact is Mr. Bairin You. Good luck.

As far as the theory goes, a couple of useful links are:

http://www.utm.edu/departments/engin/lemaster/Machine%20Design/Lecture%2016.pdf

(probably the most useful). and

http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0211004

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it.

Thank you all very much,
Michael

1. What is the burst speed of a rotating disk?

The burst speed of a rotating disk is the maximum speed that the disk can reach before it begins to break apart or fail. It is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or meters per second (m/s).

2. Why is the burst speed of a rotating disk important?

The burst speed of a rotating disk is important because it determines the maximum operating speed at which the disk can safely function without failing. Knowing the burst speed can help engineers design systems and components that can withstand the required speeds.

3. How is the burst speed of a rotating disk calculated?

The burst speed of a rotating disk is typically calculated using the material properties of the disk, such as its density, Young's modulus, and yield strength. These properties are used in formulas that take into account the centrifugal forces acting on the disk as it rotates at high speeds.

4. What factors can affect the burst speed of a rotating disk?

Several factors can affect the burst speed of a rotating disk, including the material properties of the disk, its shape and size, the quality of its manufacturing, and the environmental conditions in which it operates. Other factors, such as the presence of cracks or defects, can also significantly impact the burst speed.

5. How can the burst speed of a rotating disk be increased?

The burst speed of a rotating disk can be increased by using materials with higher strength and stiffness, improving the manufacturing process to reduce defects, and implementing design changes to optimize the shape and size of the disk. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to detect and prevent any potential issues that could affect the burst speed.