Burst valve obligation on hydraulic lifting cylinder

In summary, a burst valve is installed on lifting appliances in order to prevent the machine from dropping a person in the event of a hydraulic failure. Forklift do not normally have these, and OSHA 1926.602 covers this, but it looks like you have to look all through it.
guideonl
TL;DR Summary
burst valve;forklift;hydraulic elevator;hydraulic cylinder
Hi everyone,
I heard that there is a regulation\obligation that requires burst valve installation on lifting hydraulic cylinders.
My questions are:
Is this requirement apply to all lifting appliances or just appliances involve with personel lifting ?
Is this requirement apply to forklift hydraulic cylinders?
From my experience, I know such valves are installed on telehandler boom (JCB,Genie...), elevator's hydraulic lifting cylinder, excavator's boom (which sometimes are used as a crane)...
If positive please note source; standard\regulation\code of practice.
Thank you all

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are referring to the safety valves that are installed in aerial work platforms, I believe those are designed to prevent the machine from dropping a person (too quickly) in the event of a hydraulic failure.

Forklifts do not normally have these. OSHA 1926.602 is supposed to cover this, but it looks like you have to look all through it. OSHA standard interpretation for elevating personnel.

Is there a different safety valve that you are talking about?

Likes berkeman
Hi ChemAir,
Thanks for your answer, I am talking about hydraulic hose burst valve which suppose to protect a load (elevator/aerial work platforms/crane boom...) from falling down in case of hose failure.

guideonl said:
I am talking about hydraulic hose burst valve which suppose to protect a load (elevator/aerial work platforms/crane boom...) from falling down in case of hose failure.
Fuse (hydraulic) - Wikipedia

Thank you OCR,
I am looking for specific\proffessional information in the subject, as noted in my post.

guideonl said:
I am looking for specific\proffessional information in the subject, as noted in my post.
How can we answer that question in general? The question is about regulation, not engineering. You must look up the regulations or codes applicable in the country or countries in question for each application.

Thank you Anorlunda,
In general you are right, but let say that lifting appliances (cranes, forklifts, elevators, excavators...) are manufactured all over the world, and are designed according to international standards (ISO, EN, ASME...) and familiar regulations such OSHA.. thus, I asked for info. based on such info. sources.
Also, I believe that even local engineers design according to good practice rules, which take into a consideration this requirement/direction.

A four port "pilot operated check valve" is often attached to the cylinder ports where the hoses connect. The ports remain closed to return flow from either side of the cylinder unless significant pressure is applied to the other port. If any flexible hose bursts the cylinder will remain locked in position and so should not collapse.

Thank you Baluncore,
I know how this hyd. valve works. If you look in my original post you'll see that your rely is not an answer for the questions.

guideonl said:
I know how this hyd. valve works. If you look in my original post you'll see that your rely is not an answer for the questions.
The term "burst valve" is confusing, so I introduced the correct terminology, "pilot operated check valve" and explained the functioning to other readers who may reach this public thread through a web search at some time in the future.

Prudent engineering design requires pilot operated check valves be fitted where safety would otherwise be compromised. In the world of industrial accidents, dropping booms or loads that crush many people is more likely and more dangerous than dropping a couple of supported people.

You ask legal advice but have refused to identify the nationality of the manufacturer.

Thank you Baluncore,
Well, I am not talking about specific manufacturer (it could be american\european\asian..) nor specific product, (it could be forklift\elevator\telehandler...). My questions are about the principle, if there is such.
To make myself clear, I'll use some examples, every air presure vessel has to be equiped with a safety valve, I can't imagin hydraulic circuit without a relief valve, every electric system should be connected to a circuit breaker...
By the way, the hose burst valve also called "velocity fuse valve".

guideonl said:
Well, I am not talking about specific manufacturer (it could be american\european\asian..) nor specific product, (it could be forklift\elevator\telehandler...). My questions are about the principle, if there is such.

In that case, I'm glad nobody spent hours of their time trying to satisfy your original request.
guideonl said:
If positive please note source; standard\regulation\code of practice.

anorlunda said:
In that case, I'm glad nobody spent hours of their time trying to satisfy your original request.
I really don't know why you released such a nervous reply, I didn't ask anybody to spend hours trying to satisfy my questions. If someone read my post and knows the answer/s because of his experience- it would be kind to share his particular knowledge with someone who need that information. Nobody is forced to share his knowledge with others, but good people do so. I wish you to be at that side.

1. What is a burst valve obligation on hydraulic lifting cylinders?

A burst valve is a safety mechanism that is installed on hydraulic lifting cylinders to prevent the cylinder from bursting or exploding in the event of a sudden increase in pressure. This is a crucial safety feature that protects both the equipment and the people working with it.

2. How does a burst valve work?

A burst valve works by automatically releasing excess pressure from the hydraulic system. When the pressure inside the cylinder reaches a certain level, the valve opens and allows the fluid to escape, preventing the cylinder from bursting. This helps to maintain a safe and stable pressure level within the system.

3. Why is a burst valve necessary for hydraulic lifting cylinders?

Hydraulic lifting cylinders are designed to handle heavy loads and generate high pressures. If the pressure inside the cylinder is not regulated, it can lead to a catastrophic failure, causing damage to the equipment and putting the safety of workers at risk. A burst valve is necessary to prevent such accidents and ensure the safe operation of hydraulic lifting cylinders.

4. How often should burst valves be inspected and replaced?

The frequency of inspection and replacement of burst valves depends on the specific regulations and guidelines of the industry and the manufacturer's recommendations. In general, burst valves should be inspected regularly, at least once a year, and replaced if any signs of wear or damage are found. It is also important to follow a maintenance schedule and replace burst valves if they have been activated.

5. Can a burst valve be installed on existing hydraulic lifting cylinders?

Yes, burst valves can be retrofitted onto existing hydraulic lifting cylinders. However, it is important to consult with a professional and ensure that the valve is compatible with the specific cylinder and meets all safety standards. Improper installation or use of incompatible burst valves can compromise the safety of the equipment and its operators.