Who is Burt Bacharach and why are his songs timeless?

• Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
In summary, Bacharach passed away at 94 years old. He was a favorite of mine due to his beautiful songs and beautiful voice.
pinball1970
Gold Member
Burt Bacharach has passed at 94, Certainly of my favourites.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/feb/09/burt-bacharach-
1675957312270.png

Likes DennisN and BWV
Science news on Phys.org
Last great songwriter in the Great American Songbook

Likes Ivan Seeking and pinball1970
I had no idea he was still alive.

Vanadium 50 said:
I had no idea he was still alive.
He isn't. Or did you mean prior to his death? I think I would have remembered that announcement, like Lemmy.

Anyway, when a beautiful song meets a beautiful voice.
Dusty Springfield, The look of Love. Hopefully it will be play friendly.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
Susanna Hoff, The Look of Love.

Likes Astronuc
Two of his biggest hits

• Love
Likes dlgoff, BWV, Astronuc and 1 other person

• Love
Likes dlgoff, BWV and pinball1970

Likes dlgoff and BWV
Ivan Seeking said:
Two of his biggest hits
I'd never heard of Bacharach until Raindrops became a hit.

Likes Ivan Seeking
Astronuc said:
Probably the same for me.

And I have been in love with Katherine Ross ever since I saw that movie scene. :oldlaugh:

• Haha
Likes Astronuc
Ivan Seeking said:
Probably the same for me.

And I have been in love with Katherine Ross ever since I saw that movie scene. :oldlaugh:
There were plenty of attactive actresses, and they were out of my league. Katherine Ross divorced 4 times, and is now married to Sam Elliot. And there were actresses like Inger Stevens and Diana Rigg, who I would never meet in person.

I did meet many wonderful women during my university years and married one with whom I'm still married.

Likes Ivan Seeking and pinball1970
What amazes me is all the music genre he made.

Likes pinball1970 and Ivan Seeking
Astronuc said:
Never heard of him till the 1980s when I was learning guitar and piano probably.

Getting the chords out to all these great songs and thinking, who the hell is Burt Bacharach (and Hal David)!?

Did he just write the late 60s early 70s??
There were just so many by different artists.
I only just found out that he co-wrote “Arthur” too.
I always thought that was just Christopher Cross on his own.

If you watch him talk about his tracks in later life he was so quietly spoken and jazz cool is the only way I can describe him.

He hardly moved his mouth and had a constant half smile on his face, a far out guy.
Brilliant.

Likes Ivan Seeking and dlgoff
Likes pinball1970

1. Who is Burt Bacharach?

Burt Bacharach was an American composer, songwriter, record producer, and pianist, renowned for his significant contributions to popular music in the 20th century. Born in 1928, he collaborated extensively with lyricist Hal David, and together they crafted a stream of hits that were recognized for their unique melodies and emotional depth. Bacharach's music often featured complex chord progressions and irregular time signatures, yet remained accessible and widely popular.

2. What are some of Burt Bacharach's most famous songs?

Burt Bacharach's repertoire includes numerous classics that have become staples in the American songbook. Some of his most famous songs include "I Say a Little Prayer," "Walk On By," and "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head." His music has been performed by a diverse array of artists, spanning different genres and generations, which attests to the universal appeal of his compositions.

3. Why are Burt Bacharach's songs considered timeless?

Burt Bacharach's songs are considered timeless due to their sophisticated melodies, intricate arrangements, and emotional lyrics that resonate with universal themes of love, heartbreak, and human experience. His ability to blend different musical elements seamlessly, from jazz to pop to classical, also ensures that his music transcends the era in which it was created, appealing to listeners across generations.

4. How did Burt Bacharach influence the music industry?

Burt Bacharach profoundly influenced the music industry by setting a high standard for songwriting and composition. His innovative approach to melody, harmony, and rhythm inspired countless musicians and composers. Additionally, his successful collaborations with various artists and his adaptation to changing musical tastes helped pave the way for future genre-crossing collaborations within the industry.

5. Are there any awards or recognitions that Burt Bacharach received for his music?

Throughout his illustrious career, Burt Bacharach received numerous accolades recognizing his contributions to music. These include multiple Grammy Awards, Academy Awards, and even the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song by the Library of Congress. His widespread recognition underscores the impact and enduring legacy of his musical contributions.