1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bus acceleration physics problem

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. You are running late for your bus that is 100m away. Luckily it is stopped at a traffic light. When you are 16m from the bus, running at your max speed of 6.0m/s the light changes and the bus starts accelerating at 1.0m/s². Do you catch the bus? If so, how far did you have to run to catch it?

2. v1= initial velocity
    v2= final velocity
    a= acceleration
    t= time
    d= displacement

1)v2=v1 + at
    2)d= 0.5(v2+v1)t
    3)d=v1t+0.5at²
    4)d=v2t-0.5at²
    5)[v2]²=[v1]²+2ad

3. I have answered the question and got that you do catch the bus in 4 seconds time and have to run 24m, but i solved using trial and error. I would like to know how to solve this question using a more algebraic method.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2
    Re: Acceleration

Assuming you caught your bus we can make the two displacements equal each other:
    displacement of bus = displacement of you - 16m
    d1 = d2-16
    v1t+0.5at² = v2t-16

Then solve for t. There's probably other ways of solving this algebraically, this is just the first one I thought of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook