Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush admin about to reverse itself on global warming.

1. Aug 27, 2004 #1

In a low key admission, Bush officials are allowing that they were wrong in their summary dismissal of man induced atmospheric warming.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2004 #2
    I can only hope all the extremist hippy morons will move towards the center as well so we can actually get some REAL dialogue going, rather than rhetoric BS.
  4. Aug 27, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By your post it would seem that it is the right, not the left that needs to get their act together...speaking of ridiculous rhetoric.
  5. Aug 27, 2004 #4
    I have no idea who you are talking about, but I am sure that they must know who they are and that this sincere statement will be a wonderful inducement to get some REAL dialog going.
  6. Aug 27, 2004 #5

I'd like to see more on this, or an actual comment on the .gov sites...I trust the NYT to report accurately about as far as I can throw a....
  7. Aug 27, 2004 #6

8. Aug 27, 2004 #7
    So, Bush was wrong, the "extremist hippy morons" were right, and they should both change positions?
  9. Aug 28, 2004 #8
    Yes Adam, they should both change positions. I think Phat was worried that the hippymorons are too addicted to their hate to move forward.
  10. Aug 28, 2004 #9
    So being right equals being addicted to hate now?
  11. Aug 28, 2004 #10
    My point exactly. There's no dialogue on either side, and hasn't been for a long time. Bush moving to the center is worthless so long as the other side is still running around using the green movement as a front for their political idealogies (go to an 'environmental' protest, and see how many anti-capitalism, anti-globalization, etc. signs there are. It's got little, to nothing, to do with the environment)

And I used 'hippie morons' to push some buttons to bring some out of the wood work. And it worked :)
  12. Aug 28, 2004 #11
    I fail to see how that works.
    I am not the right. I am not the left. I stated AS WELL in my post. I blame both sides for the break down in communication, and full out garbage rhetoric based on NO SCIENCE.
  13. Aug 28, 2004 #12
    Have you ever been to an 'environmental' rally? If so, has anyone there EVER handed you an outline for a realistic plan to combat pollution and global warming, while maintaining some level of lifestyle?

I can tell you, I have gone. And what I got was a bunch of dancing morons who couldn't give me ANY facts. These are the people that most see yelling about global warming (because they are the extremist, and it's funny to see them on TV). In response, the dialogue for actual change is lost due to these people being looked as a joke. THEY HAVE LOST CREDIBILITY.

I wish I could find the name of the guy again. There was a gentleman that I watched an interview with who has gone down the environmental models and proposed different options at different level of society based on a cost-benefit analysis. What? Actually see what should be the priority and what we should adjust our lives for??? NEVER! That would be just too much! B

But really, that is EXACTLY the kind of things the 'hippie morons' need to shift to. Just as the present admin needs to fall in that line.
  14. Aug 28, 2004 #13
    Well, then, you are hardly in a position to pass judgement on the effects of my statement.
  15. Aug 28, 2004 #14
    Are you saying that the people at environmental rallies don't call for higher fuel efficiency in cars, gas/electric hybrids, using wind/solar/tidal/geo-thermal energy instead of gasoline, tightening restrictions on factory emissions etc.?
  16. Aug 28, 2004 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Calling for higher fuel efficiency, etc. etc. does not make up intelligent debate and a move towards finding actual solutions. The majority of the environmental lobby only hurt their efforts by not being practical. You have to find common ground, or else you get nowhere.

I despise what this administration is doing about the environment - though I see the reason for such moves. But surely, the opposition is not doing a great job itself. Idle demands get you nowhere. Let's see a plan that might work and then maybe the Right will think about it...
  17. Aug 29, 2004 #16

I wasn't talking about that...

Phatmonkey said no one at environmental rallies ever had a realistic plan for how to reduce pollution/fight global warming that allowed people to live a realistic life, and I didn't believe that no one at an environmental rally would call for the things I mentioned, which would reduce pollution/fight global warming, but also wouldn't greatly interfere with everyday life...
  18. Aug 29, 2004 #17
    I didn't, did I. I notice that you made no attempt to explain either, but just to make an irrelevant statement about nothing.

You claim that your reason for using dumb-sounding words is to incite people, but it sounds like you are the extremist, and perhaps that you can not think of any words that might promote conversation. You wonder why people are so apart. I recommend that you look at the "moronic" words that you use to explain the situation.
  19. Aug 29, 2004 #18
    I've been a uni student for a couple of years now. Rallies of various sorts are always getting in my way. On the good side, many of them give out free food and drinks. Often in aluminium cans.

I simply ignore them. I go to sources the entire world finds quite credible. If I wish to find out about alternative energy sources and such, for example, I see my electronics professor. He's a senior member of the IEEE, roams around the world solving nuclear reactor problems, sits on various alternative energy development boards for the IEEE and other groups, et cetera. The dude is quite clever about his field. This is the sort of resource I have access to here. Lucky me.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  20. Aug 29, 2004 #19
    I already did in the previous posts before replying to you. They are there. You can continue to derail this thread, or you can get onto the other posts. When will you start adding to this thread?

My reasoning for calling a spade a spade, was just that. I didn't use the term moron because I was calling a name. I was calling morons, morons.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  21. Aug 29, 2004 #20
    That's great. But here in the USA, do you know where NON-environmental people get their information about global warming and pollution??
    GREENPEACE. They are in the news more often than the EPA. When the EPA released a report on different recommended amounts of fish (this concerning mercury poisoning), there was NOTHING on television about it. However, I can't go a week many times without hearing about how we are going to have no oil, trees, and/or water within 50 years. Then I look online, and some private institute is/or has debunked much of the doomsday image. However, it's no fun to report that.

Greenpeace, IMO, is the environmental equivalent of PETA. Atlease Greenpeace was started with a real goal and without propaganda. But the reality is it is one of, if not the, most known environmental groups and it is HARDLY the image I think that the environmentalist movement will be able to gain traction with.

Everyone needs to come to the middle, and I know you agree with this, as you have said. I'm simply reiterating my point.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?