Bush Campaign Gear Made in Burma.

• News
  • Thread starter Chemicalsuperfreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary: Originally posted by michael_e In summary, the Bush campaign has been selling clothing labeled "Bush/Cheney '04" that has been made in Burma (Myanmar). This is likely due to the larger profit margins in Burma, as Burmese textile workers receive about seven cents an hour. The Bush administration banned the sale of goods from Burma a year ago because of the country's tyrannical military dictatorship. This is the second time that a Bush has had some clandestine business deals with foreign tyrannical military dictatorships.Hopefully the irony that it was a "fleece" "pullover" is not lost on anybody.
Chemicalsuperfreak
[http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzsell0319,0,4764348.story?coll=ny-business-headlines]

Turns out some clothing labeled "Bush/Cheney '04" that is being sold by the Bush Campaign has been made in Burma (Myanmar). Presumably they get larger profit margins from the Burmese cloths, since Burmese textile workers get paid about seven cents on the hour. But they main problem is, the Bush administration banned the sale of goods from Burma a year ago because of the country's tyrannical military dictatorship.

You will recall this won't be the first time a Bush had some clandestine business deals with foreign tyrannical military dictatorships.

Hopefully the irony that it was a "fleece" "pullover" is not lost on anybody.

And if you're curious, all the campaign clothing in the Kerry campaign is made entirely in USA.

Physics news on Phys.org
Outsourcing to dictators is the Republican way!

Can't stop private companies from outsourcing through any other means except creating a good business climate here, in which it's a better choice for them to hire Americans.

However, I think this is a slap in the face, as much as I think it's sick that the pentagon needs 'buy american' bill to get our own government to look to US contractors first.

LETTER TO CAMPAIGN FROM MERCHANDISE SUPPLIER
Fri Mar 19 2004 13:26:53 ET

Mr. Tom Josefiak
General Counsel
Bush Cheney '04 Inc.

Dear Mr. Josefiak:

I am writing to apologize and accept responsibility for the recent distribution of foreign goods in our Bush Cheney '04 merchandise program. We take great pride in providing this service to your campaign, and at your request have worked with our vendors to distribute goods that have been made in America.

Unfortunately, in one of our recent shipments, a vendor inadvertently supplied us with foreign goods, and our own company did not discover this mistake before distribution to the public. The purchase orders for these items included a statement specifying "Made in USA products." (See attached document). We received an acknowledgment from our supplier substantiating that it was their factory mistake. (See attached document).

We have already reviewed our entire stock of items and have pulled from inventory all foreign products. Of the 60 fleece jackets in stock, only two were from Burma. According to best estimates by our supplier, less than a total of ten items from Burma were shipped to the public. We have taken corrective action to assure this will never happen again. We are a small company employing 40 workers and take pride in the professional services provided by our hard-working American families.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this error and let me assure you that all necessary steps have been taken to guarantee that all future shipments will contain only American made products.

Ted Jackson
President, Spalding Group

I'm less curious about where kerry buys his clothes then I am about his foreign investments...which he's still mum about.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak

And if you're curious, all the campaign clothing in the Kerry campaign is made entirely in USA.

Even that ironed work jacket he was wearing while buying a jock strap at a sporting goods store on camera? ;)
Point 1 for Kerry.

Originally posted by kat
I'm less curious about where kerry buys his clothes then I am about his foreign investments...which he's still mum about.
Uh huh...whatever. Try getting on topic.

Thanks for the info, Kat...this is obviously a non-issue.

1. What is "Bush Campaign Gear Made in Burma"?

"Bush Campaign Gear Made in Burma" refers to merchandise that is associated with the former President of the United States, George W. Bush, and is manufactured in the country of Burma (also known as Myanmar).

2. Why is it significant that the gear is made in Burma?

The significance of the gear being made in Burma is that the country has been under a military dictatorship for many years, with a history of human rights abuses and labor violations. This raises concerns about the ethical and political implications of supporting such products.

3. Is it legal for a former US President's campaign gear to be made in another country?

Yes, it is legal for campaign gear to be made in another country, as long as it follows all relevant laws and regulations. However, it may be seen as controversial or problematic depending on the country and its political and social climate.

4. Who is responsible for the decision to have the gear made in Burma?

The responsibility for this decision lies with the company or organization producing the gear, as well as potentially with the former President's campaign team if they were involved in the decision-making process.

5. What can consumers do to address concerns about "Bush Campaign Gear Made in Burma"?

Consumers can choose to express their concerns by not purchasing the merchandise or by contacting the company or organization to express their views. They can also support organizations that advocate for ethical and fair labor practices and human rights in Burma.