Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush caught staging meeting with troops

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/topstories_story_286115638.html

Apparently they didn't realize that the coaching session was being broadcast via satellite to the news rooms. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2
    He should be impeached for misleading the public!!

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3
    What's wrong with this?

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Everything! Bush did something that every modern president/politician has done on a near daily basis! Impeachment!!!

6. Oct 13, 2005 #5
    What's with the sarcasm? I'd sort of hoped that noone with a brain would except "honest dialog" when polticians go live on national TV. :rofl: Same reasoning as applied to, say: talk shows aren't live, reality TV is scripted, and "4 out of 5 dentists" don't really recommend that miracle toothbrush being advertised.

On the other hand, shame on the networks for giving this airtime, at the expense of real journalism.
    :grumpy:

7. Oct 13, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Except that the White House had just said it wasn't scripted. If it doesn't matter then why did they lie?

8. Oct 13, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Theres a big difference between scripted and coached. If they told the troops exactly what to say and what to ask, thats scripted. If they are told what topics to talk about, thats coaching.

9. Oct 13, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a difference; how big is another issue. Still, the WH misrepresented the conference and now has egg on its face, once again, since they were clearly misleading the public. This was touted as something other than it was.

Again we hear excuse after excuse for having no ethics. No wonder Bush got elected.

10. Oct 14, 2005 #9
    I'm not distressed that a major poltician would be doing this. What distresses me is most networks package this as 'news' and distribute it unquestioned. When I watch CNN* it sounds like this:

"Senator Smith tells news conference: gravity a 'myth' (also ahead: why one expert disagrees)".

That's a hyperbolic example, of course.

*rarely

edit: IMO, there's no important difference between a 'guided' (coached) conversation and a literally scripted one. They're both controlled forms of communication which work great if a politican wants to advertise his/her policies. But if they show up on a news channel whose purpose is to inform civilians about how effective a hundred-billion-dollar war is, that's propganda. In fact, anytime an 'ordinary Joe' is giving his opinion* on CNN, I see a failure of journalism to be intellegent and discretionary.

*which was, in effect, what this teleconference was trying to be

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  11. Oct 14, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ideologs at their finest :rolleyes:

"cleary misleading the public"? Are you sure your the moderator of S&D? :tongue2: What an exageration... I've never heard you say any democrat mislead the public when they forge documents or say 'yes' and do 'no' which makes me wonder exactly what you're definition of "misleading the public" is.

12. Oct 14, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well if that is your definition, EVERYTHING on every news channel is propoganda. If you're going to have someone come on and give a positive view of say, brazil, you're going to bring a brazilian diplomat or something. For the negative, you bring some other guy on who you know will have hte negative view. Complete coaching but I don't understand how thats defying journalistic integrity.

What happens if you start bringing in random people? "So we're going to discuss the oil crisis in America. Here with us is an English professor from chico state and here is a project manager from Sony"

13. Oct 14, 2005 #12

kat

I'm still trying to figure out where "caught" comes in....

14. Oct 14, 2005 #13
    sounds reasonable to me :rofl:

15. Oct 14, 2005 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Wait, where in that article does it say it was scripted? All it says it they rehearsed the sequence of questions so that people would pass the mic around smoothly. Unless I missed it, it does not say the answers to the questions were written out or scripted (edit: or "guided").

Ivan, rachmaninoff, it does not say the answeres were "guided" or "coached" (those words do not appear in the article) and the person saying they were "scripted" is a spokesperson for an anti-war website.

This looks like a knee-jerk reaction by CBS to something that is SOP for news conferences and interviews of all types.

What am I missing?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  16. Oct 14, 2005 #15
    Right on the nose. You aren't missing anything. :biggrin:

17. Oct 14, 2005 #16
    Right on the nose. You aren't missing anything. :biggrin:

18. Oct 14, 2005 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...except perhaps, for this :

From the White House Press Briefings; transcript of briefing on Oct 13, 2005 :

There is no transcript of what happened "earlier" in the White House website.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/

19. Oct 14, 2005 #18
    Perhaps the "public" was "mislead" the moment the "government" was 'invented'.

Perhaps the "public" believed that the "government" acted in the best interest of the "public".

Perhaps the "public" IS many more individuals than what the "public" orginally 'thought' the "public" 'was'.

Perhaps every "government" that acts with only the particular "public" in mind, leads the minds of the particular "public" astray in an "other" unique direction, thus rendering all individuals within that particular public "mislead".

Perhaps the "public" ought to consider having their minds lead in "one" direction.

Perhaps the "public" ought to consider a different, "new" form of "government".

Perhaps the "government" itself ought to be "impeached".

Perhaps a "true" goverment shall preclude the possibility of the "public" being "mislead" and being obligated to analyze and discuss the actions of the "president", rather than their own actions, to determine whether or not those actions are "right", when the particular "government" and particular "public" that he respresents, is NOT "right".

o:)

20. Oct 14, 2005 #19
    Make what you want of it, the sceniaro was rehearsed with the soldiers before Bush entered the room. But then again those who say that this has become common practice in recent years are right, especially in the last five years.
    The Pentagon was not about to take a chance on another "Rumsfelf hillbilly armor" type of event happening.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...359_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ-BUSH.xml&archived=False

21. Oct 14, 2005 #20
    What are you missing? In addition to a record of media manipulation FAR BEYOND previous levels, Bush has worn out his use of photo ops and friendly audiences - Though the military is probably becoming a little less trustworthy, so probably needed to be screened and rehearsed just a bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?