Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush ignorance of his own marriage amendment

1. Nov 3, 2004 #1
    Bush ignorance of his own "marriage" amendment

When asked recently whether his proposed amendment to define marriage as a union between one man and one woman allowed for civil unions in general - which he had publicly supported - President Bush said he didn't know!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Source, link, citation, etc....?

4. Nov 3, 2004 #3
    While I agree that gay couples shouldn't be married in church. I think the law should acknowledge them and be given the same rights as a straight couple.

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4
    russ,

With all of the quotes being thrown at me these past few days, I'm afraid that I have to cite the source generally, as from a television network. I admire President Bush for his support of civil unions, and would be disappointed if he were twisted by the far right to reverse himself.

6. Nov 4, 2004 #5
    I'd be really surprised if Bush ssaid he "didn't know" in the context Loren Booda indicates he did. This was one of the issues of the campaign for gosh sakes! Even if his position was on the fence - and it wasn't - I doubt Bush would have presented such an unpolished response as just suggested in the context of a full answer.

7. Nov 4, 2004 #6
    ... and least I'm misunderstood. Bush could have sai "I don't know" - but he could have said "I don't know" in the context of whether the higher courts might interpert the marriage amendments. In that context - "I don't know" is the ONLY reasonable response.

8. Nov 4, 2004 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Fair enough - I'm not questioning that he said it (I am quite aware that he's inarticulate and absent-minded), I just like to see context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?