Bush in Baghdad - 2 Shoes, Size 10

• News
  • Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
In summary, the Iraqi journalist threw two shoes at President deselect George Bush at a news conference today. He adroitly ducked the shoes like he has press conference questions for years now. The remarkable thing to me was, where was the Secret Service? The journalist threw one and then had plenty of time to get off the second. No one threw their body in the path of either. Maybe he just wanted them polished. No one threw their body in the path of either.Perhaps they were really smelly? Is that where we have come as a society? Where political assassinations are done via shoes? Imagine if in the Kennedy assassination instead of getting shot twice he got two shoes thrown at him really hard. Things would have been a lot
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
An Iraqi Journalist threw 2 shoes at President deselect George Bush at a news conference today.

He adroitly ducked the shoes like he has press conference questions for years now.

The remarkable thing to me was, where was the Secret Service? The journalist threw one and then had plenty of time to get off the second. No one threw their body in the path of either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe he just wanted them polished.

LowlyPion said:
No one threw their body in the path of either.

Perhaps they were really smelly?

Is that where we have come as a society? Where political assassinations are done via shoes?

Imagine if in the Kennedy assassination instead of getting shot twice he got two shoes thrown at him really hard.

Or if Lincoln was hit in the back of the head with a shoe.

Things would have been a lot more funny than they are now, because of the whole "they died" thing, you know?

raqi reporter throws shoes at Bush in Baghdad
2008-12-15 03:11:27

BAGHDAD, Dec. 14 (Xinhua) -- An Iraqi reporter threw his shoes at visiting U.S. President George W. Bush and called him a "dog" in Arabic during a news conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in Baghdad on Sunday.

Reporter of Baghdadiya television jumped and threw his two shoes one by one at the president, who ducked and thus narrowly missed the attack, raising chaos in the hall in Baghdad's heavily-fortified Green Zone.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-12/15/content_10504369.htm

From Reuters
raqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog
Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:00pm EST

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - An Iraqi reporter called visiting U.S. President George W. Bush a "dog" in Arabic on Sunday and threw his shoes at him during a news conference in Baghdad.

Iraqi security officers and U.S. secret service agents leapt at the man and dragged him struggling and screaming out of the room where Bush was giving a news conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki.

The shoes missed their target about 15 feet away. One sailed over Bush's head as he stood next to Maliki and smacked into the wall behind him. Bush smiled uncomfortably and Maliki looked strained.

"It doesn't bother me," Bush said, urging everyone to calm down as a ruckus broke out in the conference room.

When asked about the incident shortly after, Bush made light of it. "I didn't feel the least threatened by it," he said.

Other Iraqi journalists apologized on behalf of their colleague, a television journalist.

Bush arrived in Baghdad earlier on Sunday on a farewell visit before he leaves office in January. The U.S.-led invasion in 2003 to topple Saddam Hussein triggered years of sectarian bloodshed and insurgency in Iraq, killing tens of thousands.

(Reporting by Matt Spetalnick; Writing by Michael Christie; Editing by Elizabeth Piper)
http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMostRead/idUSTRE4BD1FG20081214?virtualBrandChannel=10112

The US troops should put this guy on IED detection detail. MF'er.

Cyrus said:

Which guy? The reporter? Or the President?

LowlyPion said:
Which guy? The reporter? Or the President?

...the "reporter" (raises eyebrow).

The reporter should be publically flogged with a pair of Nikes.

Props to the reporter.

SticksandStones said:
Props to the reporter.

I'd expect a better response from someone your age...

Cyrus said:
I'd expect a better response from someone your age...
I think this "respect for the President" thing is a load of crap. The man is in charge of a nation, and should constantly be under pressure to do better. Instead, he spent 5 of his 8 years being praised for everything he did.

After how he has handled everything having a couple shoes thrown at him is the least he deserves.

The reporter deserves a medal. He stood up for his country against the man who essentially date-raped it while knowing that now he will be tortured to death somewhere in Romania.

Cyrus said:

I find that HILARIOUS considering that Bush got what, 4000 or so of our troops killed now? But you think using one guy to save one of our troops somehow makes you a good person who "supports the troops". Yeah. :rolleyes:

WarPhalange said:
The reporter deserves a medal. He stood up for his country against the man who essentially date-raped it while knowing that now he will be tortured to death somewhere in Romania.

I find that HILARIOUS considering that Bush got what, 4000 or so of our troops killed now? But you think using one guy to save one of our troops somehow makes you a good person who "supports the troops". Yeah. :rolleyes:

Am I to take your post seriously? If so, then post with serious points. Please.

When a reporter has the chance to be in the same room as any head of state of another country, they must show respect. When a reporter interivews a head of state, they are interviewing the nation of that state. So when he throws a shoe at Bush, he's also throwing it at you and me.

When Ahmadinejad came to Columbia university, the president gave a nasty opening remark to him. Even though Ahmadinejad isn't a great guy, you don't disrepsect a head of state. The result, Ahmadinejad call him out on it and said "In Iran, we don't disrespect our guests like this when we invite them to talk". Ahmadinejad came out on top, and the president of Columbia came out looking like a fool.

Head of state: like him/her or not, you simply don't act that way.

This reporter didn't 'stand up' to anyone. He acted like like a fool and disgracing himself and his country. What could have done was ask good hard factual questions to Bush - what any real reporter does.

Please don't bother posting here if you're going to simply provide knee jerk responses. If you actually take the time to watch the news, you would know that the Iraqi's and the government want us there until things stabilize. This reporter isn't speaking for anyone but himself, and its appparent.

Rule number one of reporting: YOUR NOT THE STORY.

Last edited:
SticksandStones said:
I think this "respect for the President" thing is a load of crap. The man is in charge of a nation, and should constantly be under pressure to do better. Instead, he spent 5 of his 8 years being praised for everything he did.

After how he has handled everything having a couple shoes thrown at him is the least he deserves.

So you're saying a president should be physically assulted because you don't agree with him?

Lets all hope this isn't the start of a larger shoe-throwing movement within Iraq like the PEI Pie Brigade of Canada that scored a hit on the honorable prime minister Jean Chretien... rest in peace PM's honor...

I have to say I'm a little surprised the guy didn't get himself shot though. I would have expected the secret service to be on "if it hits the fan, hoze them down and ask questions later" mode in Iraq. I guess there must be lots of security at these sorts of things so it isn't like the guy could have hid a grenade in his shoes as he pitched it over or anything like that.

Cyrus said:

The guy lives in Iraq outside the green zone. He is on IED detection detail 24/7

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
Am I to take your post seriously? If so, then post with serious points. Please.

Why is it that whenever someone disagrees with you, you automatically call them childish or not serious?

Cyrus said:
When a reporter has the chance to be in the same room as any head of state of another country, they must show respect.

When this guy was throwing his shoes, I doubt he was thinking "Am I going to get fired for being a bad journalist?"

Cyrus said:
When a reporter interivews a head of state, they are interviewing the nation of that state. So when he throws a shoe at Bush, he's also throwing it at you and me.

No, he is not. I did not vote for Bush. He is not my "lord" or "king". I would not take a bullet for him. This reporter hates Bush because he thinks Bush is responsible for ruining his country. If he met me, he would have no reason to throw a shoe at me. He doesn't care about me. He wants to punish the man he sees responsible. If you are personally insulted because someone you (I presume) never even met gets insulted, then I don't know what to say. I don't think I am capable of feeling like that.

This guy didn't even burn a flag or curse America or anything.

Cyrus said:
When Ahmadinejad came to Columbia university, the president gave a nasty opening remark to him. Even though Ahmadinejad isn't a great guy, you don't disrepsect a head of state. The result, Ahmadinejad call him out on it and said "In Iran, we don't disrespect our guests like this when we invite them to talk". Ahmadinejad came out on top, and the president of Columbia came out looking like a fool.

Inviting a guest to talk at your school =/= inviting yourself into another country under the pretense of helping them and completely ruining the country.

Cyrus said:
Head of state: like him/her or not, you simply don't act that way.

What do you think the reporter should have done if he didn't like Bush? Hint: peaceful protests aren't that popular in Iraq.

Cyrus said:
This reporter didn't 'stand up' to anyone. He acted like like a fool and disgracing himself and his country. What could have done was ask good hard factual questions to Bush - what any real reporter does.

See above. Didn't care about being a reporter at that point. Besides, Bush would have done to his question what he did to those shoes: dodged them and then smiled uncomfortably.

Cyrus said:
Please don't bother posting here if you're going to simply provide knee jerk responses. If you actually take the time to watch the news, you would know that the Iraqi's and the government want us there until things stabilize. This reporter isn't speaking for anyone but himself, and its appparent.

Thanks for being so condescending.

We destroyed Iraq with our war and that is something people will be angry about whether we are helping them now or not. If the reporter had a relative that died due to a stray blast or due to the increase in terrorism in the area from the conflict, he could still be angry at the person who started the whole thing, or at least the guy who was in charge when it happened. I don't see what this has to do with us leaving.

Cyrus said:

See above. Didn't care about being a reporter at that point.

Cyrus said:
So you're saying a president should be physically assulted because you don't agree with him?

Given the state of his unpopularity, and assuming it is with someone's shoes? Yes, I would consider it quite appropriate.

There may not be a hell or afterlife, but a leader should have fear for the potential consequences of their actions, and all the shoe throwing furry that may include.

Cyrus said:
When a reporter has the chance to be in the same room as any head of state of another country, they must show respect.

That's not necessarily true. If you are looking at it from the point of view of a professional move and want to be allowed back to another Press Conference probably you want to mind your manners and say your pleases and thank yous. But too often the Press has not been tough enough with this buffoon from Crawford. It's one thing to show respect for the office, but there is no obligation to show respect for the man. Maybe if the Press had been tougher we wouldn't be in the mess we've gotten ourselves into.
This reporter didn't 'stand up' to anyone. He acted like like a fool and disgracing himself ...
I agree with that as far as it goes. Free speech doesn't mean that there is any freedom from consequences.
... This reporter isn't speaking for anyone but himself, and its appparent.

As a reporter I agree he failed his mission. As a man perhaps he feels that he has expressed himself. I won't deny him that. I also think that the best way to deal with him is to do nothing really. What better example of freedom of the Press than speaking up and expressing himself freely. What better lesson for him as to how democracies may work. Surely he is old enough to recall that under Saddam that he, his wife and all his children may have been conveniently erased for even looking the wrong way.

Last edited:
Baghdadiya television should better vet its reporters and not just assign some shoe-in.

Let's stay cool and on topic, please. Thanks.

So, is there anything culturally symbolic about shoe throwing as a gesture? I was just thinking about how in Saudi Arabia I think it is considered rude to show the bottom of your shoe (IIRC).

Math Is Hard said:
So, is there anything culturally symbolic about shoe throwing as a gesture? I was just thinking about how in Saudi Arabia I think it is considered rude to show the bottom of your shoe (IIRC).

Muslims are all about clean. When you throw your shoe at someone you defile them. It's the equivalent of someone trying to spit on you. IOW, its a BIG DEAL.

Math Is Hard said:

That would suggest that throwing the bottom of your shoe at someone would be an escalation of that idea.

There had to be a second shoe thrower. No one could possibly throw two shoes with that kind of accuracy in that short a time period. Besides, are you going to tell me that a single shoe could have hit both Bush and al-Maliki and land practically undamaged on the floor?

Yes, and nobody smelled a second shoe being thrown, which suggest that the second thrower had to be far away.

jimmysnyder said:
There had to be a second shoe thrower. No one could possibly throw two shoes with that kind of accuracy in that short a time period. Besides, are you going to tell me that a single shoe could have hit both Bush and al-Maliki and land practically undamaged on the floor?

there are conflicting reports of a shoe seen flung from the Sandy Knoll

jimmysnyder said:

Apparently it was bring filmed by some guy named Abe Zapruder and it seems that there was only one hurler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHMDdSxomcU

Here's the video of the incident,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7782422.stm

It seems it was a personal protest against Bush as a person rather than a protest against America as a whole. The journalist who threw the shoes called Bush a dog (a little unfair on canines imo). Throwing shoes in Iraq is probably the Iraqi cultural equivalent of sticking up two fingers in the West. A comparison Bush himself made immediately afterwards.

jimmysnyder said:

:rofl:^2

That post floored me, jimmy!

LowlyPion said:
Apparently it was bring filmed by some guy named Abe Zapruder and it seems that there was only one hurler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHMDdSxomcU

Like I said, put that scumb bag on IED detail. That's just uncalled for.

Cyrus said:

How about a compromise?

Let's give Cheney the job.

Cyrus said:
An expression of contempt for a contemptible man seems pretty apt to me.

If anyone it is Bush who should be sent on IED patrol so he can witness first hand the fruits of his stupidity.

Art said:
An expression of contempt for a contemptible man seems pretty apt to me.

If anyone it is Bush who should be sent on IED patrol so he can witness first hand the fruits of his stupidity.

No, Art. A journalist does not go around trying to harm heads of state. There is no excuse for what he did. NONE. NOT ONE. NONE.

The same way there is no excuse for the way the president of columbia U opened for the president of Iran.

I'm sure it would seem apt to you, because you constantly berate America. I wouldn't expect you to care.

Second thrower theory aside...where WAS the Secret Service? I hope they give Obama better protection. The projectiles aimed at him might be bullets, not shoes.

BTW, Bush did a nice duck of that first shoe! You can tell he's played a bit of baseball in his day. He definitely has experience with the bean ball.