Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush loosing it

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    Is it just me or is Bush doing a lot worse in interviews lately. It almost looks like he is been drinking again, or doesn't care anymore. I really can't watch it anymore without feeling embarrassed for him and for this country.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2
    Your assumption is that he cared or stopped drinking in the first place.

Chocked on a pretzel? Please. He got drunk off his ass and fell over is more likely.

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He's probably starting to get an inkling of just how much damage he's done.

However, aside from a decrease in arrogance, to me he appears no more inept than before.

I did enjoy his response to the reporter the other day.

Reporter: Some analysts are predicting that gasoline will hit $4 a gallon this summer.

Bush: Really, I hadn't heard that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  5. Mar 1, 2008 #4
    That's nothing. Several minutes later, when asked about one of the presidential candidates (I think) of Russia, he said he doesn't know much about him, because he's been spending more time on things like gas prices.

6. Mar 16, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

George Speaks, Badly
    By GAIL COLLINS, Op-Ed Columnist, NYTimes, March 15, 2008
    I think the US economy will recover much like New Orleans and the Gulf Coast have recovered from Katrina. A few have made out very well, and but many are still waiting or going without.

7. Mar 16, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Soft Shoe in Hard Times
    By MAUREEN DOWD, Op-Ed, March 16, 2008
    WASHINGTON
    Love the analogy to Rachael Ray. :rofl:

8. Mar 17, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23373396-2,00.html

9. Mar 17, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Mar 17, 2008 #9
    Cheney runs the show, Bush just dangles from the strings.

11. Mar 17, 2008 #10

russ_watters

I'm not quite sure what's horrifying about those quotes. Could someone explain it?

12. Mar 17, 2008 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's nothing romantic about PTSD.

There's nothing romantic about getting your legs blown off.

There's nothing romantic about going to war for an idiot chicken hawk of a president.

There's nothing romantic about being stop-lossed after you've done your duty to country.

There's nothing romantic about this wrong-headed war, or any war.

13. Mar 17, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Not to mention having one of your buddies getting blown apart beside or in front of you.

Not to mention the innocents (collateral damage to Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al).

Bush is a disingenuous and vain coward.

14. Mar 17, 2008 #13

russ_watters

Who said there was? Bush certainly didn't.

But why do you think people join the military? It may not be the top reason, but it's up there. Remember, the US has an all volunteer military.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  15. Mar 17, 2008 #14

Evo

I agree, to quote from the article
    Sounds ghastly.

16. Mar 17, 2008 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's horrifying is that the person who, when he was "slightly younger and not employed here", pulled every one of his daddy's strings to avoid going to the front lines, can now insult the troops who have volunteered to go to Iraq (right to their faces) with the words:

What nerve!

17. Mar 17, 2008 #16

Evo

I'd have to disagree. Although I doubt how eager he'd be to defend his country in actual battle, working with a guy that has served two tours in Iraq and knowing someone that is there right now, they would disagree with the attitude people are taking in this thread.

18. Mar 17, 2008 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With what?

19. Mar 17, 2008 #18

Evo

I disagree that our troops would feel insulted by his speech. If you have articles proving that the troops felt insulted, I'd have to stand corrected.

I tend to dislike the "lynch mob mentality" approach to anything. If you personally have issues with something a politician says, you have a right to feel that way. I think his "Bushisms" are a sad reflection on him personally and professionally. And is anyone surprised that a politician would stretch the truth? But I still am able to read and comprehend. I'm surprised that no one commented on what the rest of the article was about.

20. Mar 17, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have a cousin who during his forth tour in Iraq had to clean up the mess left when they blew away a bunch of civilians. He was real gun-ho until then, but now he's all screwed up.

I have a customer whose kid ran to Iraq when Bush waived the flag, He came back as an alcoholic who can't hold down a job.

I'm so envious. How glorious it must be.

21. Mar 17, 2008 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since I never made such a claim, I don't see why I should prove it. What I did say was that the President's words were an insult to the troops. Whether or not they perceived the insult is not something I speculated about.

Are you telling me I have a "lynch mob mentality"?

So you see no hypocrisy in his words? It's perfectly fine for him to say that he would happily go to the front line if he was younger, when we all know that he did the exact opposite? And if we feel disgust at someone that would be so callous and dishonest, we are exhibiting a lynch mob mentality?

I haven't read the article. Russ asked a specific question about a quote, and I answered that question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?