Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush: The Greatest Blunder in US History

1. Oct 6, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In light of today's report on the alleged Iraqi WMD programs, which we now know never existed after Gulf I, and considering the lack of any significant connection between Iraq and 911, and considering that in spite of Bush's efforts to escape responsibility for his rush to war, and in spite of his efforts to escape responsibility for his decisions and claims made as President of the United States, I think the invasion of Iraq now qualifies as the greatest blunder in foreign policy in US history.

Bush will be remembered in history; exactly as he should be.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2004 #2
    And today we have the technology, communication, databases, videotape, etc, that is empirical representation of the waste that blunder is. But, it will probably take along time for us to see Bush and those Republicans who support him in full codemnattion 20/20 until all that is quantified. Right now, the right-wingers are just not intelligent enough to be ashamed of themselves for what they've encouraged.

4. Oct 6, 2004 #3

graphic7

Gold Member

If you read carefully, you'll notice that the report only investigates whether Saddam possesed WMD stockpiles at the *time* of the U.S invasian in March of 2003. This doesn't investigate whether or not Saddam had a stockpile before this time or not.

This also doesn't exclude the fact that Saddam may have exported his WMD stockpiles before March of 2003.

I'm a Kerry supporter, but you can't be wrong about facts like this.

5. Oct 6, 2004 #4
    Blaming Bush is like faulting Howdy Doody for Buffalo Bob's indiscretions.

6. Oct 6, 2004 #5
    :rolleyes:
    What is it with you liberals, trying to undermine the war in Iraq and the President? Do you want the war to fail and Democracy to die? If not, you better stop saying bad things about Bush, how would the troops feel if they heard that people didn't like Bush and that the war was unjustified?

God, liberals, you all hate freedom and want there to be more terrorist attacks on the USA.

7. Oct 6, 2004 #6
    I think that you are premature. If god were to come down to earth and bestow American style democracy on Iraq in the coming months, and if the Iraqis unanimously decided to love the United States for their wonderful assistance in achieving this, then I would consider your statement to be false. Only if Iraq continues as it has been will I agree with you that Iraq is the greatest blunder in US history, far surpassing even the blunder in Vietnam.

8. Oct 6, 2004 #7
    You have a bizarre sense of humor, but it is funny. What is really funny is that there actually are people in this country who would think that your statements are serious and agree with them. Quite humerous, isn't it, and yet sad at the same time.

9. Oct 6, 2004 #8
    I don't blame Bush for Iraqi fiasco, I blame all of dumb American suckers who were bambozzled into going to war.
    Bush did nice job, he needs to be reelected,and then he will **** us all for real.
    This country has no right to exist anymore.

10. Oct 6, 2004 #9
    Yeah, they're known as people who take Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity seriously.

Rush Limbaugh is on the air from noon-3pm on weekdays, and he's the second most listened to radio program in all of New York City, a very liberal city. Makes you wonder...

11. Oct 6, 2004 #10
    I agree. People who listen to Limbaugh just to laugh at the hypocritical self-confessed idiot. What people will do for a joke. As to those who actually think his point of view has some merit, ... you are right, it does make me wonder.

12. Oct 6, 2004 #11
    So very true... If Bush loses in November I wonder how many Republicans will back away from supporting him... it could happen

13. Oct 6, 2004 #12
    It won't be how many Republicans back away from supporting him, it'll initially be how many Republicans accuse Democrats of manipulating the vote. If Bush clearly loses, it won't be Republicans backing away from supporting him, it'll be Republicans that never supported him in the first place.

14. Oct 6, 2004 #13
    ahh denial.. and I don't mean the river.. Right now people are riding the coat tails... if Bush looses, it will be a very lonely trip back to texas. As far as Iraq, the most common argument I hear in response to Bush being wrong is "well Saddam needed to go anyhow". While that may be true, doing so under the guise of a misconception, after going against so many countries and the UN to do it, is a fool's errand. It's akin to winning a race by tripping everyone else ahead of you along the way, and then going "hah! I would have won anyways". The end never justifies the means.

As far as troop morale- I think if I were a soldier I'd rather know the truth. If I'm going to die for my country, I want the real reasons, not some misleading hype to make me feel better about my sacrifices. It's like finding out Jim Jones put something in the kool aid and not telling his followers because it would be such a huge "downer". However, some people are more comfortable in thier own little uptopia where Bush is a perfect leader, and only a victim of circumstance-who am I to take a dump in thier wheaties?

*shrug*

15. Oct 7, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, a Bush bash-fest ! :biggrin: Bash on ! :approve:

16. Oct 7, 2004 #15
    How to poat a new post

Dear All,
    some how I am not able to understand how to punch in a question?
    so I am useing this reply mode.
    Can any one guide me?
    Hanuman

17. Oct 7, 2004 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

hanuman, either do as you did and select "quote" or "post reply" and type your question.

Welcome to the forum!

18. Oct 7, 2004 #17
    Nice post.

19. Oct 7, 2004 #18
    Is "blunder" the correct word? Blunder: to make a mistake through stupidity, ignorance, or carelessness
    I think it was a "scam": a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation
    The Iraq operation was and still is an intentional set-up by PNAC.

20. Oct 7, 2004 #19

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

...and getting yourself impeached over a BJ is probably the biggest general Presidential blunder in US history.

As for foreign policy, is Vietnam too general to get the gold on this? Yalu (? North Korea)river?

Somalia was pretty dumb, but I guess death-toll (gross, not net) is what is important.

And you must be a Reagan fan...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  21. Oct 7, 2004 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've got to be a Reagan fan to call this the worst foreign policy screw up. Reagan helped establish more dictators and fundamentalists around the world than your average James Bond baddy with hopes of world domination would care to shake hands with....but I don't want to derail this thread, so let's just stick to the Bush bashing.

(hanuman, were you asking how to start a new thread ? You do that by clicking the "New Thread" icon at the top left in the relevant sub-forum/section.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?