How can we make sure this Clean Up doesn't turn into a bigger mess?

• News
  • Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
In summary, Bush is headed to Africa with a 15 billion dollar plan to control AIDS as well as diplomatic talks to several countries in hopes of creating peace. Some people are skeptical of this plan, because Bush has been trying to push religion on people at home and has never seen tax money that he can't give to a church. However, there is a possibility that this plan will help save lives in the future.
Mattius_
Bush To Africa!

well he has now gotten my vote for re-election... bush is headed to africa; on the agenda is a aggressive 15 billion dollar plan to control aids as well as diplomatic talks to several countries in hopes of creating peace. Just to tell you, 15 billion dollars is ALOT of money in africa, so this will go a long way.

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Mattius_
well he has now gotten my vote for re-election... bush is headed to africa; on the agenda is a aggressive 15 billion dollar plan to control aids as well as diplomatic talks to several countries in hopes of creating peace. Just to tell you, 15 billion dollars is ALOT of money in africa, so this will go a long way.

Don't hold your breath...

care to elaborate?

btw nice sig...

care to elaborate?

$15 billion for aid? Will he actually allow condom use to be part of the plan? Over how many years? And how much goes to 'faith-based' missionaries?

well i personally don't think that condoms are a viable solution zero... condoms interfere with culture, and culture wins... that has been widely debated and the end result is, unless you want to go put the condom on the guy, then its not going on...

as for your faith-based missionary remark, i am not educated on this subject but i will say that i don't think bush or any other american wants to impose western faith upon african people... the consequence was resulted on 9/11... the pressure would be on him too strong if he were to act with christianity, so i think your hypothesis is purely speculative...

well i personally don't think that condoms are a viable solution zero... condoms interfere with culture, and culture wins... that has been widely debated and the end result is, unless you want to go put the condom on the guy, then its not going on...

as for your faith-based missionary remark, i am not educated on this subject but i will say that i don't think bush or any other american wants to impose western faith upon african people... the consequence was resulted on 9/11... the pressure would be on him too strong if he were to act with christianity, so i think your hypothesis is purely speculative...

Why? He has already been trying to push religion on people at home...he's never seen tax money that he can't give to a church.

Wait...explain how getting people to stop having sex is easier than getting them to start wearing condoms?

to your first post, specify, i haven't heard of any church donations...

your second post, when the average life expectancy is below 40, and 2/3 of the people that were born on your birthday have already died by the age of 18, i think you would want to learn what causes this death...

when some acultural person comes up and tells them to put a piece of latex, something they have never even seen before, on their most sacred skin, it seems a little absurd, know what i am saying? and to top it off, it is banned by many of their traditions...

if you want a comparison, they tried condoms in india... hmmm... i think they are going to be the most populous country in the world within 10 years, that didnt work...

they tried family planning in catholic latin america, significant progress shown...

am i giving you any sort of new perspectives yet zero?

Nope...we aren't talking about pregnancy, first of all, secondly are you honestly thinking we should make Africa a Catholic continent?

And let's not forget the Bush strategy of promising money now, not putting it in the budget later.

um that is commonplace in all politics... what's important is that he is showing his awareness... and thus, it makes news, now americans are coming to terms with problems in africa...

sooner or later we will have a reasonable grip on what's going on in africa, and the masses will ask for african relief, that is when you will see it in the budget...

um that is commonplace in all politics... what's important is that he is showing his awareness... and thus, it makes news, now americans are coming to terms with problems in africa...

sooner or later we will have a reasonable grip on what's going on in africa, and the masses will ask for african relief, that is when you will see it in the budget...

So it is ok for him to maybe lie about it, if it gets awareness(and votes for him)?

there is no right or wrong zero, what counts is that what he is doing now gives a much better chance of saved lives in the future...

there is no right or wrong zero, what counts is that what he is doing now gives a much better chance of saved lives in the future...
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't...but it got your vote, huh? Wanna see how much of that money actually gets there after the election? Three hints, first hint is that it is less than what you have in the bank...

i already said that it was true that africa would probably get little money, BUT... if political games are the cost of progress, then by all means let them lie till the cows come home...

We have a different idea of progress...I understand your point, I just don't agree.

zero your morals too often get into the way of rationality and reasonability... think practical and things get done...

the end justifies the means...

zero your morals too often get into the way of rationality and reasonability... think practical and things get done...

the end justifies the means...

I think we are done here...this is about to turn into philosophy!

heh god forbid...

I, for one, am glad that bush is getting more involved with Africa. I hope to see him use some muscle in bringing some peace in Zimbabwe, Liberia, etc.

While it's good news that Bush is involved, it's worth noting that the US spends the smaller percentage of it's GDP on foreign aid that most of the world.
So, I'll say... Great, but more please! As for the vote, it depends on what the Republicans v0.9 (aka Democrats) promise, and how much is actually delivered.

mattius, i for one am sick of bush trying to save the world in the name of democracy and freedom and all that crap. and i agree with zero. he'll never suggest that using condoms just might help stop the spread of aids, not to africa, and sadly, not even to his own country. i believe that bush is a very evil man, and i will never re-elect him or for that matter, any member of his family that may in the future decide to run for president. evil and freedom do not go hand in hand.

*edit*

Last edited by a moderator:
*edit*

what happened to my last post? anyways, care to elaborate on that generalization halfdyke?

what happened to my last post? anyways, care to elaborate on that generalization halfdyke?

I was giving you a chance to rephrase your comment...which you did nicely.

heh i figured...

ever watch c-span house of commons? hehe that gets intense...

*edit*

I'm glad there is someone other than the right-wing pharmaceutical companies taking an interest in Africa, a free country. Or does the Prez have stock in Ely Lily?

Who the hell has been whipping up the sentiments between tribes on the oldest continent anyway?

Its like what went on in Iraq... sure there were interests with the oil there and everything... but... the same interest brought with it the removal of an openly brutal dictatorship. So... whatever interests are focusing on the African Continent are also focusing the good intentions of pioneers like U2's Bono and others who want to see an end to the disease and misrepresentation going on there...

Here's to an totally independant Africa! Viva la Liberty.

*edit*

*edit*

Oddly enough, this thread only reinforces my old theory... there are no smart people in Nebraska.

that wasnt nice...

It's actually sad that Bush has decided to start bribing African nations. Now that every nation is afraid to collaborate with the US for fear of breaking international laws, he has to try to gain support from third world countries.

In a recent interview, the prime minister of Poland openly admitted that cooperation with the US in the aftermath of the war could mean lower oil prices (and therefore improvement in economy) for his own country.

When you think about it, $15 billion isn't that much to pay for gaining support from many third world UN representatives.

eNtRopY

so what if the United States can't get any support in europe? their reasons for not supporting us are just as scandalous as our reasons for attacking iraq...