Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush wired or a whole lot of nonsense?

1. Oct 8, 2004 #1
    Not sure if this would be more at home in the scepticism and debunk forum or here but oh well.

Rumours are circulating that President Bush was wearing a device that allowed him to hear people telling him what to say through an earpiece. Here’s an article, and you can find more about it elsewhere. http://www.washingtondispatch.com/spectrum/archives/000637.html
    Basically he’s done this before. During a D-Day speech a while back a journalist reportedly picked up audio of someone reading a speech to the president as he was giving it.

So what do you all think? Was Bush wired? Personally, I think his suit was just wrinkly. (see article for photo) LoL But yeah… Are there rules against wearing a device such as this during a debate? This would be great ammo for Kerry if it was verified.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone brought this up in another thread. My first impression was just a wrinkly suit, as was your impression. But, in one of the photos, it looks more like a vest under his clothing. Out of curiousity, I've been trying to see if I see the same thing in tonight's debate (while they are busy repeating answers they've both given before). Just a few times the camera/lighting angle has been just right that I think he's wearing a bullet-proof vest. I'm sure we'd know if he had a back injury and was wearing a brace.

Since this thread seems like a more light-hearted one, I thought I'd point out something amusing I noticed in tonight's debate. Kerry is wearing a red tie and Bush is wearing a blue tie. Maybe they should have traded in the beginning.

4. Oct 9, 2004 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My vote is that it is a whole lot of nonsense. I'm sure there's a more benign explanation than Salon gave (and I didn't see anything like that last night).

It was still one of those small irrelevant things that pop up that are just too funny to pass up.

5. Oct 9, 2004 #4
    This is more along the lines of the Nick Berg was wearing orange - so the government killed him.

"Hemmi"

6. Oct 10, 2004 #5
  7. Oct 10, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I dismissed this as useless jabbering ... until now. Now, I wonder why the Bush campaign isn't saying what "it" really is. If it's a bullet proof vest, why won't they say so ? They just dismiss it without an explanation. Clearly, it looks to me like there's something there. Whya re they suggesting there isn't ? Could it be that revealing details about the President's security arrangements is a no-no ? That's the only possibility that comes to mind.

8. Oct 10, 2004 #7
    I saw a Bush campaign guy on CNN and he said "All you'll find on that side of President Bush is a strong backbone", when there clearly is something there, and besides the big thing between his shoulder blades, there's also what appears to be a wire.

9. Oct 10, 2004 #8
    Because if it's a vest, which it most likely is, they're not at liberty to say. There are no comments made regarding the specific steps taken to protect the President. Common sense tells us the reasons for that policy.

Second, you would think that if Bush was going to be secretly "wired" they wouldn't leave a big hump in his back. I've seen a close-up picture of his back, and that hump, and it appears to be a vest that comes together in the back. There is a 'tailored' curve that appears to go around Bush's shoulders and this 'hump' appears longer down the middle of his back.

Third, if people what to see the 'hump' and 'logically' conclude that Bush was 'wired' --- than that's exactly what they're going to believe.

10. Oct 10, 2004 #9
    Really wateofo2 --- well than, why don't you link a pic for us?

11. Oct 10, 2004 #10
  12. Oct 10, 2004 #11
    I doubt the validity of that wired device.

With all this technology, Bush's aides would use a wireless receiver hidden in his ear if they wanna pull this off.

Hey, it's a hearing aid! :wink:

13. Oct 10, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my best guess too.

14. Oct 10, 2004 #13

mci

*** they're not at liberty to say. There are no comments made regarding the specific steps taken to protect the President. ***

Talk out your ass much? Bush officials have already confirmed that the President WAS NOT wearing a vest.

15. Oct 10, 2004 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As has been pointed out above, if Bush really planned to cheat, he wouldn't need to wear a prominent wire up the middle of his back (besides, all his Ahs and Ums in the first debate pretty much confirm for themself that nobody was feeding him lines). If Bush officials are saying it wasn't a vest, which seemed like a reasonable precaution for the president, then all I can really say is I would have thought the President could afford a better tailor, or else he's developing a very prominent hunchback! :eek: Maybe he wore a jacket with thicker shoulder pads to offset the height difference between him and Kerry by making Kerry look like a skinny bean pole. But, still, you'd think his tailor could have done a better job to make the fabric hang a little better. The whole seam down the center, even where it's hanging freely and not pulled taut to his back looks lumpy.

You know, there very well may be an explanation in those 30 some odd pages of debate rules. I wouldn't be surprised if suit jacket specifications were included along with all the other silly things in there. :rofl:

16. Oct 10, 2004 #15
    Relax mci. Anyway, I stand corrected and it's not a vest.

While, I suppose, the White House / President himself can volunteer information, which upon checking, they apparently have, those charged with protecting the President, the Secret Service, do not discuss the specific security measures they use. Again, that's common sense.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Domestic/USSS/Default.html

I suppose, as head of the Executive, the President, or on authority, his staff, can volunteer information if they feel it's politically wise ---- unlike the Secret Service. I, for one, would not have said anything - for the obvious reasons - vest or no vest. Especially 'no vest.'

17. Oct 10, 2004 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just about to say the same :)

18. Oct 10, 2004 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't really hide something in your ear, can you ? It will be seen by anyone who has a direct view of your ear...unless it's really tiny, and it's stuffed deep down. I'm not sure you can make a speaker that small.

Disclaimer : This is not an endorsement of the "Bush wired" theory.

19. Oct 10, 2004 #18
    Of course it's going to be tiny. It can fit neatly inside the ear, which can easily be overlooked.

Here's a sample: http://www.spybase.com/listening/microear/microear.htm

20. Oct 10, 2004 #19
    A little OT, but anyone else wonder why this thread has gotten ~2,000 views in less than 48 hrs? LoL. yay Google!

21. Oct 10, 2004 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holy Moly !! :surprised I hadn't noticed that !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?