Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush's Cabinet - The Corporate Connection

1. Jul 3, 2003 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Having corporate leaders in government is far better than having career politicians. I highly recommend Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders."

4. Jul 3, 2003 #3
    Re: Re: Bush's Cabinet - The Corporate Connection

Pointing us towards fiction, huh? LOL, ok, it can't be any worse than the fiction that is modern politics!

Having corporate leaders in government is not the best thing in the world, because the first thing they push for is deregulation, which inevitably leads to trouble.

5. Jul 3, 2003 #4
    Well, I think that you could guess what I think about the fact that big business people, many of whom are in oil and energy, being the leaders of the country, and then their industries subsequently getting great government contracts and policy changes.

6. Jul 3, 2003 #5
    Would it be fair to not let people with corporate connections be President? I mean, alot of the corporate skills could overlap with the Presidential ones?

7. Jul 3, 2003 #6
    Is it fair to appoint someone to run an agency for the benefit of the people, when it is in his financial interests to run it into the ground instead?

8. Jul 3, 2003 #7
    I guess that answer would be no...

9. Jul 16, 2003 #8
    terrific quote, DD. so far as I've heard, it's Bechtel (search 'big dig' in boston) and Worldcom (search 'biggest fraud in history') that've been anointed with the Iraqi booty.
    You know, one of the things that Clinton did, was to sign policy that flew in the face of the very industries that supported him, because it was in the best interest of the country to do so. Few men are as devoted to principle.

10. Jul 16, 2003 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Hehe. You serious? I guess you probably are.

11. Jul 19, 2003 #10
    Thanks, RW, yes I'm serious. It's just too bad that Gore smoked so much pot etc, he couda been a contenda!

12. Jul 20, 2003 #11
    I'm not saying that I disagree with you Zero, but you must take into account that there are many benefits too. These people can see a bigger picture than an every day politician and in addition, I would like to say that if they are from:

as Adam said, then they would probably be good choices in this time period for two reasons. 1) They have experience running such large companies that they would probably be better off helping run a country than some senator that at most has represented his/her state and never had any real experience running a country or business.
    2)Right now, we need those things; Energy, Oil, and for Mining all sorts of things like Gold for example.

13. Jul 22, 2003 #12
    The problem is, these people want to deregulate everything...and as it has become abumdantly clear, unregulated business is a bad idea.

14. Jul 22, 2003 #13
    Shadow, the big problem with your post is that it has the assumption that CEOs will care about others. Big oil CEOS are big oil CEOs because they were cutthroat and maximized profits for their own business, regardless of how their actions affect others.

15. Jul 23, 2003 #14
    With all due respect dan that pretty much sums up quite a few politicians these days. Some would give anything for power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?