Bush's Cabinet - The Corporate Connection

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of corporate leaders in government, particularly in Bush's Cabinet, and the potential benefits and drawbacks of this. Some argue that these leaders have a bigger picture perspective and valuable experience, while others point out the potential conflicts of interest and push for deregulation. However, it is noted that these leaders may prioritize their own business interests over the well-being of others.
Adam
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Adam
Members of Bush's Cabinet, all from big oil and energy and mining? You bet.]
Having corporate leaders in government is far better than having career politicians. I highly recommend Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders."

Originally posted by russ_watters
Having corporate leaders in government is far better than having career politicians. I highly recommend Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders."
Pointing us towards fiction, huh? LOL, ok, it can't be any worse than the fiction that is modern politics!

Having corporate leaders in government is not the best thing in the world, because the first thing they push for is deregulation, which inevitably leads to trouble.

Well, I think that you could guess what I think about the fact that big business people, many of whom are in oil and energy, being the leaders of the country, and then their industries subsequently getting great government contracts and policy changes.

Would it be fair to not let people with corporate connections be President? I mean, a lot of the corporate skills could overlap with the Presidential ones?

Originally posted by Dave
Would it be fair to not let people with corporate connections be President? I mean, a lot of the corporate skills could overlap with the Presidential ones?

Is it fair to appoint someone to run an agency for the benefit of the people, when it is in his financial interests to run it into the ground instead?

Originally posted by Zero
Is it fair to appoint someone to run an agency for the benefit of the people, when it is in his financial interests to run it into the ground instead?

I guess that answer would be no...

terrific quote, DD. so far as I've heard, it's Bechtel (search 'big dig' in boston) and Worldcom (search 'biggest fraud in history') that've been anointed with the Iraqi booty.
You know, one of the things that Clinton did, was to sign policy that flew in the face of the very industries that supported him, because it was in the best interest of the country to do so. Few men are as devoted to principle.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
...Clinton... because it was in the best interest of the country to do so. Few men are as devoted to principle.
Hehe. You serious? I guess you probably are.

Thanks, RW, yes I'm serious. It's just too bad that Gore smoked so much pot etc, he couda been a contenda!

Having corporate leaders in government is not the best thing in the world, because the first thing they push for is deregulation, which inevitably leads to trouble.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you Zero, but you must take into account that there are many benefits too. These people can see a bigger picture than an every day politician and in addition, I would like to say that if they are from:

all from big oil and energy and mining
as Adam said, then they would probably be good choices in this time period for two reasons. 1) They have experience running such large companies that they would probably be better off helping run a country than some senator that at most has represented his/her state and never had any real experience running a country or business.
2)Right now, we need those things; Energy, Oil, and for Mining all sorts of things like Gold for example.

The problem is, these people want to deregulate everything...and as it has become abumdantly clear, unregulated business is a bad idea.

Shadow, the big problem with your post is that it has the assumption that CEOs will care about others. Big oil CEOS are big oil CEOs because they were cutthroat and maximized profits for their own business, regardless of how their actions affect others.

Big oil CEOS are big oil CEOs because they were cutthroat and maximized profits for their own business, regardless of how their actions affect others.

With all due respect dan that pretty much sums up quite a few politicians these days. Some would give anything for power.

1. Who was included in Bush's Cabinet?

George W. Bush's Cabinet included 15 individuals, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Secretary of State Colin Powell, and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

2. How were members of Bush's Cabinet chosen?

Members of Bush's Cabinet were chosen by the President and confirmed by the Senate. They were typically chosen based on their experience, qualifications, and alignment with the President's political ideology.

3. What is the "Corporate Connection" in Bush's Cabinet?

The "Corporate Connection" refers to the fact that many members of Bush's Cabinet had strong ties to the corporate world. Some had previously worked for large corporations, while others had close relationships with corporate leaders.

4. Did the "Corporate Connection" have an impact on policy decisions?

It is difficult to definitively say whether the "Corporate Connection" had an impact on policy decisions. However, some critics argued that the Cabinet's ties to the corporate world may have influenced policies that favored big businesses over the interests of the general public.

5. How does Bush's Cabinet differ from other presidential Cabinets?

Bush's Cabinet was similar to other presidential Cabinets in that it included a diverse group of individuals with different backgrounds and areas of expertise. However, it was also notable for its high number of individuals with ties to the corporate world.