Bush's hometown paper endorses Kerry

• News
  • Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, John McCain is receiving less than enthusiastic support and has been criticized by Chuck Hagel and Richard Lugar. Even his own hometown newspaper has abandoned him. It is unclear where he will live if George Bush loses the election. The newspaper in question, The Iconoclast, has a circulation of around 450 people and is a real paper, despite its small size and lack of information on its website.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Less than enthusiastic support from McCain, blasted by Hagel and Lugar. Now his own hometown paper has abandoned him. If Bush loses, where will he live?

This is the editorial in his hometown newspaper.

http://www.iconoclast-texas.com/Columns/Editorial/editorial39.htm

Of course, they must not hate George Bush as much as they say. If you go to their 'front page' (http://www.iconoclast-texas.com), you can still buy an official "Crawford, Texas - Home of George W. Bush" paperweight for $39.99 (you might want to wait, though; they might go on sale).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I must be missing something. Is this an actual newspaper with circulation numbers...editors and such or a website calling itself a newspaper? Under it's "about" section it doesn't give any information as to who or where and any cirulation numbers and under it's archives it only has 3 archived editions? What is this?

Hehe. Good one, guys.

edit: hey, while we're at it, where's the sports section? :grumpy:

Last edited:
The sports section ? That only comes out every time Bush goes dirt biking around the ranch. :biggrin:

kat said:
I'm sorry, I must be missing something. Is this an actual newspaper with circulation numbers...editors and such or a website calling itself a newspaper? Under it's "about" section it doesn't give any information as to who or where and any cirulation numbers and under it's archives it only has 3 archived editions? What is this?

The paper has a circulation of about 450 people (I'm quoting high) when I last say this

Yes, it's a real paper. The source where I first heard this gives 425 as the circulation.

And hey, it reaches more than half the town! :biggrin: The 2000 census gave the population of Crawford as 705, up 74 from 1990.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for "Bush's hometown paper" to endorse Kerry?

"Bush's hometown paper" refers to the newspaper, The Lone Star Iconoclast, located in Crawford, Texas where President George W. Bush has a ranch. The newspaper has traditionally endorsed Republican candidates, but in 2004, they made a surprising endorsement of John Kerry for President.

2. Was this endorsement expected?

No, it was not expected. The Lone Star Iconoclast had endorsed Bush in the 2000 and 2004 elections, making their endorsement of Kerry in 2004 a significant shift in their political stance.

3. Why did the newspaper choose Kerry over Bush?

The newspaper cited several reasons for their endorsement of Kerry, including his military service, his plans for healthcare and education, and his stance on the Iraq War. They also expressed disappointment in Bush's handling of the economy and his administration's lack of transparency.

4. Did this endorsement have any impact on the election?

It is difficult to determine the exact impact of the endorsement on the election. However, some experts believe that it may have influenced voters in the Crawford area and potentially other rural areas that traditionally vote Republican.

5. Has "Bush's hometown paper" ever endorsed a Democratic candidate before?

Prior to endorsing Kerry in 2004, The Lone Star Iconoclast had only endorsed Republican candidates for President. This was their first endorsement of a Democratic candidate.