Bush's trend of distracting the public

• News
  • Thread starter The Grimmus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation focused on the tendency for political leaders to divert attention away from failed military endeavors or domestic issues by creating distractions or shifting focus to other countries. The book "The Prince" by Machiavelli was mentioned as a guide for politicians seeking high office. There was also some joking about President Bush's intelligence and a video of him and his wife encountering aggressive elephants. One participant pointed out that former President Carter did not follow the principles outlined in "The Prince."
The Grimmus
Has anyone eles noticed that once one of our wars and "hunts" go sour we turn our attention some where eles.

Our hunt for Osama Bin Ladin...dident find him let's exstiguish and "rebuild" afghanistan.

Warlords begin to slowly take over again and the public is asking for Osma Bin Ladin (as if his death will really stop anything anyway)

Now Iraq has "weapons of mass destruction" we invade at a cost of life and as of now found nothing, tension is mounting but who has time to worry about Iraq when pece in Africa is at risk Korea has a "nukeulair" weapon or two and now i hear that Iran has violated some weapon realted law.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by The Grimmus
pece in Africa is at risk
I just have to butt in and ask...when was africa at peace? because I think you really have to attain peace in order to risk it. So, maybe the distraction is that he's NOTICING it's not at peace and not that peace is there and at risk, yes?

i agree kat

All presidents do this. But its not a coincidence that the movie "Wag the Dog" was released during the Clinton Presidency. He was a magician - a master of misdirection.

i know that all presedents change what peopel are payign attention to to cover up mistakes but Bush is makign it so obvious he need to cover it up more.

I never saw wag the dog was it good

Originally posted by The Grimmus
I never saw wag the dog was it good
Heh. I never saw it either :wink:

Politics is like a first date: Nothing is as it appears.

Read The Prince by Machiavelli. This book defines modern politics. It is considered required reading for any person who seeks high office.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Read The Prince by Machiavelli. This book defines modern politics. It is considered required reading for any person who seeks high office.
Great book. Ironic that its still relevant today.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Politics is like a first date: Nothing is as it appears.

So when did they put out a picture-book version for Bush to 'read'? Or does his mommy read it to him before his mid-afternoon nap?

Originally posted by Zero
So when did they put out a picture-book version for Bush to 'read'? Or does his mommy read it to him before his mid-afternoon nap?

I think it was an illustrated version with each page marked as "DO" or "DON'T"

Originally posted by russ_watters
Great book. Ironic that its still relevant today.

It would seem that Carter never read this; a great man but a lousy prince.

Originally posted by Zero
ba bum bum
hey bush is our leader and...oh wait i got that just now hahaha what an illiterate man

Ah well never mind, just have to get used to politicians and their ability (inability) to mislead the public over everything that they do.

lol did anyone see that footage of pres. and mrs. bush in the jeep, and the elephants were getting nasty? i would have given anything to be in that jeep and see the looks on their faces when they saw that!

oh, and grimmus, you REALLY need help with your spelling!

What is the trend of distracting the public by Bush?

The trend of distracting the public by Bush refers to the strategy used by former US President George W. Bush to divert attention from controversial policies or actions by creating a focus on other issues or events.

Why did Bush use this tactic?

Bush used this tactic to shift the public's attention away from negative news or criticism and maintain control over the narrative of his presidency. It also allowed him to rally support and divert attention from his administration's shortcomings.

What were some examples of this trend during Bush's presidency?

One example of this trend was the use of color-coded terror threat levels after the 9/11 attacks, which some critics saw as a means of distracting the public from other issues. Another example was the invasion of Iraq in 2003, which was seen by some as a distraction from domestic issues such as the economy.

Did Bush's tactics of distraction have any impact?

There is no clear consensus on the impact of Bush's tactics of distraction. Some argue that it helped maintain his approval ratings and shift public attention away from controversial policies. Others argue that it damaged his credibility and contributed to a lack of trust in his administration.

Is the trend of distracting the public by politicians a common strategy?

The tactic of distracting the public is not unique to Bush and has been used by politicians throughout history. It is often seen as a way to maintain control and manipulate public opinion, but it can also be seen as a way to avoid accountability and transparency.