Business Calculus 1: Average Cost Function & Min. Production

In summary: The derivative of 5x/x= 5 and the derivative of 0.0002x2/x is 0.0002x-1= 0.0002/x. The derivative of 0.00013x3/x is 0.00013x2. So the derivative of c(x)= 2200/x2+ 0.002+ 0.00026x+ 0.00013x2. Multiply by x2 and we have C'(x)= -2200/x2+ 0.002x2+ 0.00026
Hannelore
1. C(x)=2200 + 5x + 0.002x^2 + 0.00013x^3

(a) Find the average cost function and sketch it

(b.) At what production level is the average cost minimized?

Homework Equations

My book defines the average cost as c(x)=C(x)/x

And the average cost is minimized when C'(x) = c(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm supposed to be teaching the class this and the teacher gave me the answers for this problem but I don't know how he got them.

He has the final answer of (a) at c(x) = 2200/x + 0.002x + 0.00013x^2
But I have it at c(x) = (2200 + 5x + 0.0002x^2 + 0.00013x^3)/x
I thought that he might have taken the derivative however the numbers aren't right in his answer for that to have happened.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer for part a, and your teachers answer for part a are the same. The only difference is that he simplified his function by canceling out the x variables in each respective term.

If I have [tex] C(x) = 10x^{2} + x [/tex] and I want to divide that function by x, I have [tex] c(x) = \frac{10x^{2}}{x} + \frac{x}{x} [/tex] which simplifies to [tex] c(x) = 10x + 1 [/tex].

As for part b, you must take the derivative to find the minimum. Set the derivative equal to zero, find what value x must be for the function to equal zero (this is called the critical point, and you may have more than one), and plug that x value, or values, into the original equation, and see which value yields a minimum.

I'm going to need more help with part b.

I took the derivative of C(x) which is C'(x) = 5 + .004x + .00039x^2

I set it to zero and then I factored it but I got unreal numbers, negatives under the square root sign.

So, I did it the way the book instructed and I set C'(x)=c(x) and this is what I got:

.0000000507x^4 + .0000013x^3 + .006998x^2 + 5.01x = 2175

...and I don't know what to do next

You weren't asked to find minimum cost C(x) (you are right, the derivative of C has only non-real zeros so there is no local minimum). You were asked to find the minimum average cost, c(x).

As we have already worked out, c(x) = 2200/x + 0.002x + 0.00013x^2 which is the same as c(x) = (2200 + 5x + 0.0002x^2 + 0.00013x^3)/x= 2200/x+ 5x/x+ 0.0002x^2/x+ 0.00013x^3/x= 2200 x-1+ 0.002x+ 0.00013x2. Differentiate that.

(The derivative of 1/x= x-1 is, using either the quotient rule on 1/x or the power rule on x-1, -x-2= -1/x2)

1. What is the average cost function in business calculus?

The average cost function in business calculus is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the cost of producing a certain quantity of goods or services and the quantity produced. It is calculated by dividing the total cost by the quantity produced.

2. How is the average cost function useful in business?

The average cost function is useful in business as it helps managers and business owners understand the cost of producing goods or services at different levels of production. This information can be used to make pricing decisions and determine the most cost-efficient level of production.

3. What is the minimum production level in business calculus?

The minimum production level in business calculus is the point at which the average cost function is at its lowest. This is also known as the minimum cost point, and it represents the most cost-efficient level of production.

4. How is the minimum production level determined in business calculus?

The minimum production level is determined by finding the point at which the first derivative of the average cost function is equal to zero. This is because the first derivative represents the rate of change of the average cost function, and when it is equal to zero, the function is at its minimum or maximum value.

5. Can the average cost function be used for all types of businesses?

Yes, the average cost function can be used for all types of businesses, regardless of their size or industry. It is a fundamental concept in business calculus and can be applied to any business that produces goods or services.