1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Business degree

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    Hi, what are some of the best jobs in business that require a combination of people skills and math skills?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

You sure you want a degree in biz? After whatever happened over the last few weeks? See this:
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/159226/output/print

EDIT: I see you asked the same question in an older thread where I first posted the above link. Well so perhaps you've read that already. I'll tell you what my friend in business is trying to do now. He's applying to switch majors after one of his professors told his class that it's easier to switch majors in the first semesters than in subsequent years. He also cautioned them not to let the bad economic news affect their concentration for their assignments and exams. My friend took his advice. Don't know if that is too hasty or what. But do give it a thought, just go ask around and talk to some biz school faculty members about what you can do with a biz degree in 3 or 4 years down the road.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  4. Oct 4, 2008 #3
    Typical jobs in business that require people and math skills include accounting (but only some of it, an awful lot of accounting is pretty math empty), actuarial work, quantitative analysis, data mining and statistics. Those overlap here and there. Hopefully others can add more.

Just how much math is involved varies widely between and within those possibilities.

5. Oct 23, 2008 #4
    something in mass marketing would probably require statistical skills & people analysis....

also, from industry to industry you have accountants, rates analysts, risk managers, and statistician.... but these people aren't usually known for their "people skills".... lol

risk management could be something to look into though... over the next few years banks & brokerages will probably be overhauling their risk management departments....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?