Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Business Improvement Help

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1
    Our family owned restaurant has been in the business for almost 5 years now. We are doing well but I think, we need some changes. Maybe change the menu? Or the look of the shop? A friend suggested that we do surveys so that we know what our patrons want. I don't have any idea how I should go about this. Any tips or advice? Is there a cheap but effective way of doing this? Is there a company that provides service for this kind of thing?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2015 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What are your goals?

• Make more money?
    • Become more popular?
    • Employ more people?
    • Offer better food?
    • Offer a more enjoyable dining experience?

4. Mar 9, 2015 #3
    All of the above. LOL. Just joking. Offer better food and offer a more enjoyable dining experience. If you have both, the rest will just follow.

I looked online and stumbled upon this audit management software. It has what I'm looking for and and it seems that it also does internal audit. I think I'll try this one first. We've done the suggestion cards before and it brought in some really good ones. Hope this thing with the survey works out.

5. Mar 9, 2015 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Have you looked on Yelp, Trip Advisor, etc. on the type of reviews that your restaurant have been getting? That is the quickest way to figure out what needs to change and improve.

Zz.

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5
    I don't go to restaurants much, but I go to a lot of coffee shops and I am convinced the single most appealing thing about any given place is friendliness. This brings more people back than anything else. It's what I would call the "Cheers Factor". If people feel comfortable and welcome, the menu is almost immaterial.

7. Mar 11, 2015 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Average lifespan of "mom & pop" establishments on the Front Range is 5-6 mos..
    Guess what. It "ain't broke," and that means you want to be careful what sort of "fixes" and improvements you make.

8. Mar 17, 2015 #7
    I really don’t know if there are companies that offer that kind of services but I like the idea of conducting a survey. It’s relatively easy and you can collect data from large amount of respondents. However, there are respondents who do not provide honest and accurate answers so better watch out for that.

9. Mar 17, 2015 #8

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

There are consulting chefs making just such recommendations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook