Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Busting another Mom-ism

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    I read this article today: http://www.mothersdaycentral.com/mothers-day-fun/mom-myths/

And although i wasn't told a majority of those lies.. one thing I have been constantly told is that I shouldn't drink water immediately after coming home after being in the hot sun. The explanation has been that 'my body needs to cool down' before I gulp down water.

I have never been able to see any apparent reason behind this. Is this a myth? If not, what are the health hazards that can be caused by this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2

Gold Member

The only thing that I can think of is that guzzling ice-cold liquid might mess up your hypothalamus' thermostat function and prevent you from cooling properly. That's just a guess, though; I'm no expert.
  4. Apr 23, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're thirsty...DRINK WATER. :biggrin: If you're getting very dehydrated already, you should sip slowly, not gulp, so you don't end up just vomiting it back up. But certainly don't wait, you're only going to get more dehydrated the longer you wait, and that can be life threatening.
  5. Apr 23, 2008 #4
    Because I'm the Mom, and I said so! Got to love Moms.
  6. Apr 24, 2008 #5

Science Advisor

You'll get "brain freeze"! :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?