Busting another Mom-ism

• Medical
  • Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I read this article today: http://www.mothersdaycentral.com/mothers-day-fun/mom-myths/

And although i wasn't told a majority of those lies.. one thing I have been constantly told is that I shouldn't drink water immediately after coming home after being in the hot sun. The explanation has been that 'my body needs to cool down' before I gulp down water.

I have never been able to see any apparent reason behind this. Is this a myth? If not, what are the health hazards that can be caused by this?

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member
The only thing that I can think of is that guzzling ice-cold liquid might mess up your hypothalamus' thermostat function and prevent you from cooling properly. That's just a guess, though; I'm no expert.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you're thirsty...DRINK WATER. :biggrin: If you're getting very dehydrated already, you should sip slowly, not gulp, so you don't end up just vomiting it back up. But certainly don't wait, you're only going to get more dehydrated the longer you wait, and that can be life threatening.

Because I'm the Mom, and I said so! Got to love Moms.

stewartcs
Science Advisor
... one thing I have been constantly told is that I shouldn't drink water immediately after coming home after being in the hot sun. The explanation has been that 'my body needs to cool down' before I gulp down water.

I have never been able to see any apparent reason behind this. Is this a myth? If not, what are the health hazards that can be caused by this?
You'll get "brain freeze"! :rofl:

CS