Why Do Computers Exude Solemnity?

• Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea that computers are solemn and perform their tasks in a ritualistic manner. The poster also brings up the concept of machines in general being solemn and questions the purpose of the original post. They also discuss the recent spam on the forum and the line between creativity and ridiculousness. The main message conveyed is that computers, with their precise and single-minded computation, can be compared to solemn priests performing a ceremony.
BicycleTree
Computers
Are
Solemn.

Behind its face, the computer solemnly performs rites of computation. Every electric motion is a ritual in the ancient tradition of computing. There is no room for joy in the mind of the computer. Humble and subdued are the things written on the banner of its mind. The eternal input passes into the hands of the solemn, black-robed priest who lives on the chip, and from the spirit of that priest issues his ceremony. Unending is his task and his readiness for his task. The black eyes of the priest gaze up forever.

Physics news on Phys.org
uh, ¤¿¤

yeah

and your point is?

How fascinating: Computers Compute eh? I never noticed.

Wait... does that mean swimminers swim?

Tree, this is what we mean when we talk about the recent spam binge GD is on.

Its not that recent, has been lots of bull**** threads going on in PF for a long time now. Not complaining though, some of the very pointless threads can be quite amusing.

Okay, what the hell is this? Even your somewhat interesting "speculation" is negated because whole idea isn't as profound as you make it out to be. No offense, but there's a fine line between creative and ridiculous.

Actually, I think that all machines seem kind of solemn, but computers especially.

The meaning of this? Well, it's not a profound idea. It's not nonsense, though, because it carries the message that precise, repeatable computation is like repeating a ceremony, and the singlemindedness of a machine performing a task is like the solemnity of a priest. But conveying that message was clearly not the whole point of the post, because I could have said it just as I did then. So am I trying to convey that message, but in a poetic way? Well, I do use imagery, but it doesn't seem to be poetic like a conventional poem is poetic. The manner in which I wrote the original post is rather characterized by a kind of subdued ostentatiousness, by the three lines used to say "computers are solemn" and the strange imagery used for simple electronic processes. The manner is one that seems to be saying, "this information is meant to be revered." That draws back to the content of the post: computers are solemn and ceremonial and this post is solemn and ceremonial. A little "mirroring" that I think usually slips under people's radar.

What is the Solemnity of Computers?

The Solemnity of Computers is a day dedicated to celebrating and raising awareness about the role and impact of computers in our daily lives. It is also a day to reflect on the advancements and potential of technology.

When is the Solemnity of Computers celebrated?

The Solemnity of Computers is celebrated on April 9th every year. This date was chosen because it marks the birthdate of Charles Babbage, known as the "father of the computer".

Why is it important to celebrate the Solemnity of Computers?

Celebrating the Solemnity of Computers is important because it allows us to recognize and appreciate the significant role that computers play in our lives. It also serves as a reminder to continue to innovate and use technology for the betterment of society.

How can I participate in the Solemnity of Computers?

There are many ways to participate in the Solemnity of Computers. You can attend events and conferences related to technology, share your knowledge and passion about computers with others, or simply take a moment to appreciate the impact of computers in your daily life.

What is the future of computers?

The future of computers is constantly evolving and advancing. With the rapid growth of artificial intelligence, machine learning, and other emerging technologies, the potential for computers is limitless. It is up to us to continue to use and develop technology responsibly for the betterment of society.

Back