Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

But I want to keep going!

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This thread is about giving up things against your will. Specifically I’m looking for encouraging, optimistic stories!

My story: I’m slowly facing the sad truth.

I’ve been a runner nearly all my life but it’s all catching up to me. In the last year I’ve had iliotibial band syndrome, a possible torn meniscus in my knee, and a stress fracture in my femur – I think I’ve spent more time recovering from stupid injuries than being healthy.

Of course I’ve done lots of other sports but nothing beats a nice jog for convenience and an effective cardiovascular workout. Plus I just love it, I don’t want to give it up! And yet I sit here on my couch, after a short 3 mile jog earlier this evening, as my knees say, “please please, no more!”

So what have you had to give up, and – more importantly – how did you come to terms with the loss?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry to hear that lisab. I've had to give up doing things, but I can't be encouraging or optimistic about it. I want my old life back.

4. Jul 26, 2011 #3
    Sorry to hear this. In order to cope, can you take up swimming or some such that doesn't put such a strain on the knees? I was a skirt chaser until the AIDS epidemic made it to the front page and I decided to give it up. I coped by getting married. No, coped is not the right word. Since I got married, I see better days and do better things.

5. Jul 26, 2011 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I think I will do some swimming until I find something better, but that's just a stopgap step. I was a competitive swimmer in high school. It's something that comes naturally to me but I got bored of watching lane lines for hours every day.

(Lane lines are those lines at the bottom of the pool that act as guides to keep swimmers in their lanes.)

6. Jul 26, 2011 #5
    I wonder how long I'm going to be able to get into the mosh pit of rock concerts. I'm 28 years old now, and I'm not nearly as spry as I used to be. I still love going to rock concerts, but I feel in a few years, I'll turn into "creepy old guy," to steal a comedian's joke whose name I cannot remember at the...Greg Behrendt. Sorry, I should backspace all of that, but lets roll with it.

7. Jul 26, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Hard choices, basil! I was a long-distance runner all through HS and into college, and ended up working on concrete floors on paper machines not long after. I ended up with deteriorated cartilage in my knees, which had to be surgically removed. After that, even a bit of jogging was practically impossible.

Now, I have arthritis in both knees, and have pain whenever my immune system flares up, and whenever low-pressure systems settle in. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

8. Jul 26, 2011 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I had to give up being lazy. It was far too strenuous of an activity to do forever.

9. Jul 26, 2011 #8

Evo

I think swimming is something we should do.

This is one of my favorite pools for swimming, it goes around the little island in the middle.

Attached Files:

10. Jul 26, 2011 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh I'd love to swim there :!!)! And stop at the swim-up bar every lap!

11. Jul 26, 2011 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That picture looks like it was taken inside a computer game.

12. Jul 26, 2011 #11

Evo

It was taken from inside an outdoor glass elevator.

13. Jul 26, 2011 #12
    Is that a lazy river?

14. Jul 26, 2011 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It just... looks so fake.

15. Jul 27, 2011 #14

Evo

Probably the effect of the glass. And then scanning the photo with the first photo scanner ever made. It's a regular paper photo, and looks much better than the scanned version.

I should get the photo and rescan it.

16. Jul 27, 2011 #15

Dembadon

Gold Member

I'm sorry to hear about this, Lisa. :frown: My boss is in the same position, and he's told me that cycling doesn't bother his knees at all. He doesn't ride very aggressively, though.

Kayaking, although not as convenient as running, can be a solid workout. And what about rock climbing?

17. Jul 27, 2011 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Lies.

18. Jul 27, 2011 #17
    I used to run a lot when I was young, but no more. But I swam a lot, too, and can still do that. I love the water. Being in it, on it, around it.

19. Jul 27, 2011 #18
    I used to run as well, but alas, my body is too broken (knees, hip, shoulder and wrist) and running is too high impact. I took up bike riding about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. With a mountain bike I can satisfy my need for going fast / getting loose on the dirt, or I can take it well easy on the road or a path. It's also a lot more efficient as a form of transport, I use my bike instead of the car for most things within 5-10km except grocery shopping.

There's something about running though, that zen feeling you get when you've been going for a while and your legs and lungs are on autopilot, mind is empty, sounds seem distant... it's sooo gooood! I don't get that on a bike (although I don't ride like that either, maybe you would if you did epic road rides, 50-100km+).

20. Jul 27, 2011 #19

rhody

Gold Member

Stop it, pengy bird... hehe I know the rub you are inferring. Zz's Photo Contest...

Lisa,

What about surgery, and then take up bicycling, gently of course, if you use those stupid pedal things, you can put more rotational energy on your good leg until you build strength in the other one. I have bicycled my whole life and knock on wood am still able to. It is tough giving up something you love too, the secret is finding another substitute that makes you just (or nearly just) as happy. Best wishes :wink:

Rhody...

21. Jul 27, 2011 #20

Ryan_m_b

Don't think of it as giving up Lisab, think of it as a change of hobby! When you can't jog, you can do other things.

Personally I've had to give up living like the happy student I was a few years ago! Real life is so depressing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook