How Do You Design a Low Pass Filter Using a Butterworth Transfer Function?

• Thread starter desmal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary, you want to use a Butterworth transfer function to create an LPF, but you do not know the order of the filter. You need to find the poles and order of the filter such that the middle term in the polynomial is 1dB.
desmal
I want to design LPF using Butterworth transfer function & I have the following information
Minimum gain attenuation Amin ,
Maximum gain attenuation Amax ,
Frequency of passband edge wp,
Frequency of stopband edge ws,
Amin,Amax,wp & ws can take any value

(Using only Butterworth table for wp=1 & є=1)=====>which is the proplem Here :redface:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have to calculuate the order of the Butterworth filter. Do you not have any equations or anything?

Hi Corneo

I don’t know if you understand me :-)

For example if I have Amax=1dB ,Amin=25dB ,wp=20π rad/s ,ws=30π rad/s & dc gain=1 V/V

I can find the Butterworth transfer function
T(jw)= (1+є² (w/wp)^2n)^-½ with є=0.5088 N=9
Then I can find the poles

But I want to get the poles from Butterworth table for є=1 & wp=1rad/s

n Factors of Polynomial T(s)
1 (s + 1)
2 s2 + 1.414s + 1
3 (s + 1)(s2 + s + 1)
4 (s2 + 0.7654s + 1)(s2 + 1.8478s + 1)
5 (s + 1)(s2 + 0.6180s + 1)(s2 + 1.6180s + 1)
6 (s2 + 0.5176s + 1)(s2 + 1.414s + 1)(s2 + 1.9318s + 1)
7 (s + 1)(s2 + 0.4450s + 1)(s2 + 1.247s + 1)(s2 + 1.8022s + 1)
8 (s2 + 0.3986s + 1)(s2 + 1.111s + 1)(s2 + 1.6630s + 1)(s2 + 1.9622s + 1)

For this table we know that Amax =3dB for all poles. This is mean even if we scale T(jw)--->T(jw/wp) in order to reach to wp we will still need Amax to be 1dB.

So how I can scale the transfer function & choose the order such that the new function will match my bounded value.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I fully understood your problem here. Are you trying to find the final Butterworth transfer function for any arbitrary [itex]\omega_c[/itex], given that you have found the normalized Butterworth transfer function?

desmal said:
For this table we know that Amax =3dB for all poles. This is mean even if we scale T(jw)--->T(jw/wp) in order to reach to wp we will still need Amax to be 1dB.

So how I can scale the transfer function & choose the order such that the new function will match my bounded value.

is one of your problems that you don't have butterworth polynomial for N=9? do you need a closed form expression?

also, what you should do with your spec is determine where the -3 dB frequency would be (assuming you did that right and correctly determined a 9th order is needed.

You're looking for the middle term in your polynomials?

For your odds:

Divide 180 by n. (let it equal t)

Your first term is (s+1).
For the second term, in polar coordinates:
[tex](1 \angle{t})+(1 \angle {-t})[/tex]
Third polynomial:
[tex](1 \angle{2t}) + (1 \angle {-2t})[/tex]
etc.

For your fifth polynomial you have:
(s+1)
[tex](1 \angle {36}) + (1 \angle {-36}) = 1.6180[/tex]
The polynomial is [tex]s^2 + 1.6180s + 1[/tex]
[tex](1 \angle {72}) + (1 \angle {-72}) = .6180[/tex]
The polynomial is [tex]s^2 + .6180s + 1[/tex]

Making your final:
[tex](s + 1) (s^2 + .6180s + 1) (s^2 + 1.6180s + 1)[/tex]

etc.
Edit: Technically, you should use 180-t everywhere I used t, but, as you can see...

Edit: Here's a graphical representation of what you're doing: http://www.crbond.com/filters.htm

Last edited:

What is a Butterworth filter?

A Butterworth filter is a type of electronic filter used in signal processing and circuit design. It is a type of low-pass filter that attenuates high frequency signals while allowing low frequency signals to pass through.

How does a Butterworth filter work?

A Butterworth filter works by using a set of capacitors and resistors to create a circuit that selectively attenuates high frequency signals. The filter is designed to have a flat frequency response in the passband, meaning that it does not distort the amplitude or phase of the desired signals.

What are the advantages of using a Butterworth filter?

One of the main advantages of using a Butterworth filter is its flat frequency response in the passband. This means that it does not introduce any distortion to the desired signals. Additionally, Butterworth filters have a maximally flat magnitude response, which means that they have the sharpest possible cutoff compared to other types of low-pass filters.

In what applications are Butterworth filters commonly used?

Butterworth filters are commonly used in a wide range of applications, including audio and video processing, telecommunications, and biomedical signal analysis. They are also often used in electronic circuits to remove unwanted noise or to shape the frequency response of a system.

How can I design a Butterworth filter?

There are various methods for designing a Butterworth filter, including using analog circuits or digital signal processing techniques. There are also many software tools available that can assist with the design process. It is important to carefully consider the desired cutoff frequency and filter order when designing a Butterworth filter to ensure it meets the specific requirements of the application.