Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buy Laptop or This?

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    I m planning to buy a new laptop when i go to overseas to study in this sept. However, i found this new product and was wondering would it be a good idea to bring this Ruvo Sleem X instead of using Laptop?

The Ruvo Sleem X : www.ruvo.com

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.... appears to have in principle desktop comparable performance (although I couldn't vouch that completely on the basis of those specs).... price compared to laptops , found any info on that ? Interesting system overall.

4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    It is in the currency of Malaysia Ringgit, suggested retail price of RUVO Sleem X is RM4,399. Which is about USD $ 1,157.69 .

5. Jul 12, 2005 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... to me that would be really cheap, unfortunately we're ripped quite a bit more for our hardware :smile: .... how does it compare to mid-priced laptops in Malaysia (performance wise could be comparable to something like that)?

6. Jul 13, 2005 #5
    Well, quite expansive. Cost around RM 7500, but with processor of Pentium M 1.73. Which is roughly about USD $1980.

The think i dun like is the graphic card... Is Intel Extreme good?

7. Jul 13, 2005 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've the impression that Intel Extreme as an onboard card isn't really top of the line, and as such is probably the biggest weakness of the system. At least if you're going to do some serious modeling, gaming or something like. The problem is similar in cheaper laptops, but I think the mid priced newer ones the last time I checked are starting to have good enough graphics cards (first sign of a good one seems to be that it's not onboard :biggrin: ) to do serious stuff. Seems like the Ruvo isn't that expensive afterall, but rather it's whether you can live with the performance it can provide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?