Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buy your school books from the PF store

1. Jan 21, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

Please think about buying your books from our new online store. It is in association with amazon. You can find anything that is on amazon and all the payment and shipping is done by amazon. The difference is we recieve 15% of your order for Physics Forums.

http://www.pixelbattle.com

thanks!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2004 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

woah Greg, is there anything you CAN'T do????

4. Jan 22, 2004 #3
    Excellent! I'm sure I'll make use of this. Is it all of Amazon's books, a select group, or just all books related to the sciences?

5. Jan 23, 2004 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

Videos, too?

6. Jan 23, 2004 #5

Eh

Say Greg, here's an idea you might want to look into. On another forum (not sure if it was a Vbulletin) there was an interesting feature on each thread. At the bottom of the page, there was a related links section. It would take keywords found in the thread, and put in a pre determined link for it. IOW, a discussion about Einstein would bring up keywords for relativity, time travel, curved spacetime and so forth.

Do you suppose you could take such a feature and apply it to the books? So in a discussion about Einstein, you'll get links to various books about Einstein (and cosmology or other repeated keywords that come up) from Amazon at the end of the thread. It might make people more inclined to buy through physicsforums if the books are right in their face.

As I said, I'm not sure if this was done on a Vbulletin. But there are so many hacks for this kind of forum, that I would be surprised if something like that already exists.

7. Jan 23, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

oh yeah, greg is it JUST books? cos i do a lot of random cd purchasing on Amazon and i would be happy if 15% of the money i spent there went to PF.

8. Jan 23, 2004 #7
    Actually it is everything amazon sells :)

Goto the link and click the "bestsellers" link in the middle and you can goto other categories and search.

http://www.physicspost.com/cgi-bin/shop-mode-none-locale-us.html

Interesting idea, I will look into it! thanks!

9. Jan 23, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

So as long as i go through the provided link i can get us money?? coolies, we have gotta keep this thread going until i get paid guys if you wanna spend my money!

10. Jan 24, 2004 #9
    wow, this is really great. I wish you had this before (got a few of these books) plus this is a great way to give something back to the pf. Buy books!!!!

11. Jan 25, 2004 #10
    Yep, anything amazon sells can be found through that website. We get 15% of whatever you buy. :)

Tell your friends and bookmark it for later!

12. Jan 25, 2004 #11
    I'm just curious, how did you manage to pull this off anyway?

13. Jan 25, 2004 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there going to be an easily accessible buttoned link?

14. Jan 25, 2004 #13

Tsu

Gold Member

GREAT idea!!!!

15. Jan 26, 2004 #14
    Yeah, I'm going to add it to the top right banner under physics network

16. Jan 28, 2004 #15

jimmy p

Gold Member

greg, i cant get the link to work. I get an HTTP 500 Internal Server error message?? is anyone else having trouble?

17. Jan 28, 2004 #16

Tsu

Gold Member

I got right to it a day or two ago, but now I can't. I get an Sbox error saying it's temporarily down.

18. Jan 28, 2004 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to order some music CDs for a friend from amazon :) I guess he'll just have to wait until the link is back up

19. Jan 28, 2004 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You get... 15%?

That means if I order a $100 textbook, you get $15 in your pocket? That doesn't seem reasonable or possible at all. Greg, what are you talking about?

- Warren

20. Jan 28, 2004 #19

Eh

That's the standard Amazon affiliate program. Actually, most affiliate programs in general offer 15% of sales. Why does that sound surprising?

21. Jan 28, 2004 #20
    Actually Amazon doesn't give the exact percentage, but they say it's between 3-15% depending on the item.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?