Buy your school books from the PF store

Hi all,

Please think about buying your books from our new online store. It is in association with amazon. You can find anything that is on amazon and all the payment and shipping is done by amazon. The difference is we recieve 15% of your order for Physics Forums.

http://www.pixelbattle.com

thanks!

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

jimmy p
Gold Member
woah Greg, is there anything you CAN'T do????

Excellent! I'm sure I'll make use of this. Is it all of Amazon's books, a select group, or just all books related to the sciences?

Tsu
Gold Member
Videos, too?

Eh
Say Greg, here's an idea you might want to look into. On another forum (not sure if it was a Vbulletin) there was an interesting feature on each thread. At the bottom of the page, there was a related links section. It would take keywords found in the thread, and put in a pre determined link for it. IOW, a discussion about Einstein would bring up keywords for relativity, time travel, curved spacetime and so forth.

Do you suppose you could take such a feature and apply it to the books? So in a discussion about Einstein, you'll get links to various books about Einstein (and cosmology or other repeated keywords that come up) from Amazon at the end of the thread. It might make people more inclined to buy through physicsforums if the books are right in their face.

As I said, I'm not sure if this was done on a Vbulletin. But there are so many hacks for this kind of forum, that I would be surprised if something like that already exists.

jimmy p
Gold Member
oh yeah, greg is it JUST books? cos i do a lot of random cd purchasing on Amazon and i would be happy if 15% of the money i spent there went to PF.

Originally posted by jimmy p
oh yeah, greg is it JUST books? cos i do a lot of random cd purchasing on Amazon and i would be happy if 15% of the money i spent there went to PF.
Actually it is everything amazon sells :)

Goto the link and click the "bestsellers" link in the middle and you can goto other categories and search.

http://www.physicspost.com/cgi-bin/shop-mode-none-locale-us.html

Say Greg, here's an idea you might want to look into. On another forum (not sure if it was a Vbulletin) there was an interesting feature on each thread. At the bottom of the page, there was a related links section. It would take keywords found in the thread, and put in a pre determined link for it. IOW, a discussion about Einstein would bring up keywords for relativity, time travel, curved spacetime and so forth.

Do you suppose you could take such a feature and apply it to the books? So in a discussion about Einstein, you'll get links to various books about Einstein (and cosmology or other repeated keywords that come up) from Amazon at the end of the thread. It might make people more inclined to buy through physicsforums if the books are right in their face.

As I said, I'm not sure if this was done on a Vbulletin. But there are so many hacks for this kind of forum, that I would be surprised if something like that already exists.
Interesting idea, I will look into it! thanks!

Last edited:
jimmy p
Gold Member
So as long as i go through the provided link i can get us money?? coolies, we have gotta keep this thread going until i get paid guys if you wanna spend my money!

wow, this is really great. I wish you had this before (got a few of these books) plus this is a great way to give something back to the pf. Buy books!!!!

So as long as i go through the provided link i can get us money?? coolies, we have gotta keep this thread going until i get paid guys if you wanna spend my money!
Yep, anything amazon sells can be found through that website. We get 15% of whatever you buy. :)

Tell your friends and bookmark it for later!

I'm just curious, how did you manage to pull this off anyway?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is there going to be an easily accessible buttoned link?

Tsu
Gold Member
Originally posted by Monique
Is there going to be an easily accessible buttoned link?
GREAT idea!!!!

jimmy p
Gold Member
greg, i cant get the link to work. I get an HTTP 500 Internal Server error message?? is anyone else having trouble?

Tsu
Gold Member
greg, i cant get the link to work. I get an HTTP 500 Internal Server error message?? is anyone else having trouble?
I got right to it a day or two ago, but now I can't. I get an Sbox error saying it's temporarily down.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have to order some music CDs for a friend from amazon :) I guess he'll just have to wait until the link is back up

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You get... 15%?

That means if I order a $100 textbook, you get $15 in your pocket? That doesn't seem reasonable or possible at all. Greg, what are you talking about?

- Warren

Eh
That's the standard Amazon affiliate program. Actually, most affiliate programs in general offer 15% of sales. Why does that sound surprising?

Originally posted by chroot
You get... 15%?

That means if I order a $100 textbook, you get $15 in your pocket? That doesn't seem reasonable or possible at all. Greg, what are you talking about?

- Warren
Actually Amazon doesn't give the exact percentage, but they say it's between 3-15% depending on the item.

jimmy p
Gold Member
whats happened to the link???

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is causing the link to be broken? Someone impatient can't wait for his CDs to arrive, but I am holding the strings so he'll have to wait Can't wait too long though

jimmy p
Gold Member
im getting withdrawal symptoms...[b(] [b(] I also wanna buy a book by Richard Feymann to boost my physics knowledge!! hurry i may get depressed!!

jimmy p
Gold Member
OH GREG!!!! i WANT to give you MONEY!!! i cant wait much longer to buy my cd's!!

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Monique
What is causing the link to be broken? Someone impatient can't wait for his CDs to arrive, but I am holding the strings so he'll have to wait Can't wait too long though

Ack, Monique is scary!