Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buying an oscilloscope

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    I want to buy an oscilloscope, but i don't have enough information on what parameters i have to look for in order to buy good one that will be fine for my work.

I want to be able to see pwm signals with frequency up to 10 or 20khz.

I see one in this link:
    http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2
    Go to surplus store. There are a lot of good old scope very very cheap. Depend on what do you use it for, do you need digital scope? I think you can get a really good analog scope dirt cheap.

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ebay is where i got my old H-P180.

In late sixties HP was trying to compete with Tektronix and made some excellent scopes.

Any HAM Radio fest would be a good place too. Hams are friendly and will give advice.

old jim

5. Sep 11, 2011 #4
    Hi Jim,

I think me and you are two old timers here!!! Sounds like you've been in EE field for a long time like me. From your post, you are like me that don't like simulation unless have to. I believe you get a lot more insight not using simulation. I never find an instance other than in RF I need to use simulation. My original major was Chemistry and I don't have a day in school in analog electronics in my life. Electronics is just my passion. I started out modifying guitar amplifiers in the 70s and got so deep into it that I quit music and went full bore into EE. I gain knowledge by switching to totally different jobs and study along the way. Actually I really did not start serious studying until 10 years ago. I realize my passion is still electronics after all these year working and designing.

In the pass 10 years, I concentrate on RF, tx lines, distribute element circuits. I stop working 6 years ago and I really button down, starting with Calculus II all the way to PDE. Study EM and now antenna. I am making up loss time in my old age. I still average two to three hours a day 6 days a week in studying. Last two or three days, I've been lazy, rather talk here than study!!!!

Back to scope, I see nothing wrong with getting an analog scope. I care about the frequency response more than anything else......of cause I am very cheap also!!! I only have a Tek 465 100MHz scope. THat's plenty for me to monkey on some guitar amplifiers now a days. Anything more, I might as well go back to work.

6. Sep 11, 2011 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I prefer analog scope for everything except event capture.
    I was able to find manuals for the old HP, and it's all discrete components so i should be able to pass it along to my grandchildren.

TEK 465 is a fine scope was our workhorse in 70's, sure wish i had one!!!

""Last two or three days, I've been lazy, rather talk here than study!!!!""

That's part of what us old timers do -
    if you haven't already done so, watch movie "Secondhand Lions". (It's in $5 pile at Walmart.) Robert Duval and Michael Caine play two delightful characters looking for meaning in old age.

old jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook