1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buying Textbooks, Need Advice

1. Dec 10, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I recently got some money and I wanted to pick up some textbooks that are worth the ridiculous prices that they go for.
    So I was thinking of getting;

Mechanics - Landau (Debated Goldstein but the reviews for Landau won me over and I find that even though Goldstein is more dense, it isn't any more illuminating)

E&M - Griffiths (Honestly have no experience with the author but he gets praise all the time on various physics forums etc.)

QM - Griffiths ( Same Reason)

Optics - Hecht (This one I'm least sure of, it was personally recommended to me, but I saw that the author has a 'schaums outline' book on the same subject that some people were recommending over the textbook?)

Thermal Physics - Schroeder (There was a few I was looking at, Finn was another, not sure about this one that much either).

With regards the courses themselves I have done/am/will be doing courses this year that cover a large part of these books. Also I'm not sure about the Optics/E&M overlap so advice on that as well as the books themselves would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Dec 10, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Griffiths' electrodynamics text is seriously one of the best physics textbooks ever. You won't regret buying it.

5. Dec 10, 2013 #4

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree that Griffith's EM book is great and it is worth owning an edition of it. I have the 1st edition and it is really really good. I have worn it out - the binding is now broken. I may break down and pick up a used 2nd edition at some point (that was the "new" edition when I was in college).

Schroeder is really good at explaining thermal physics - I recommend even if it isn't your textbook. Plus it is reasonably priced.

If these are not books that are required for your classes, I recommend used copies of old editions (for those that have old editions) as they can be much less expensive and usually mostly the same as the new version.

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted