Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BVRIJHK photometry

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do the letters stand for? Blue, Violet, Red, Indego???

Does anyone have a link explaining the process? Google only seems to give articles describing results from using the technique without explaining what the technique is.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The quick and dirty answer is that those letters refer to specific wavebands in Johnson photometric systems. They run in order of increasing wavelength. The first four are optical wavebands and the last three are infrared ones. More information here:

Photometric Systems

What process are you referring to exactly? The process of applying filters?

4. Feb 5, 2006 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, ST.

The quick and dirty answer and that link was all I needed :smile: . I was reading the journal on the discovery of 2003UB313. ( http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0508633 ) Based on the context I had a good idea what this was, but I had never heard of it and didn't know what bands the letters represented.

It states that the brightness is highest through the R and I filters, each with a relative reflectance of 1.00. Am I correct to assume that whatever filter gives the highest value will be considered to be 1.00?

5. Feb 5, 2006 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what it looks like, though I've never seen the term explicitly defined. I think that table is just telling you how reflective the object is in the different bands (relatively speaking).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?