1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

-bx + c

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    Consider a trig function such as: y = A cos (bx - c)

For the phase shift, we would use (-c/b); which aligns with the original function equation and makes sense to me.

But in the case of a trig function such as: y = A cos (-bx + c)

For the phase shift, we would use (+c/-b); which would be a negative phase shift instead of the positive phase shift. This is probably because my school just gave us a mechanism for phase shift of simply dividing c by b. But doing this:

-bx + c = 0 -> x = -c/-b -> is this legal algebraically?

Seems to be different answer, +c which would align with the function. (y = A cos (-bx + c))

In the case of a negative B and a positive C, could I just put it together like y = [-b(x-(-c))] and use the standard c/b type approach?

Any help in 'visualizing' this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your patience.

mk

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Let's look at the equation y = cos(-bx + c) = cos(-b(x - c/b))

Relative to the graph of y = cos(-bx) (which is exactly the same as y = cos(bx)), the -c/b term is a phase shift. The shift is to the right by c/b units of the graph of y = cos(bx).

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks! Had to play around with it for a bit!

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think the simplest way of looking at it is this: the "basic" function, [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex], has period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. It starts one period at 0 and ends at [itex]2\pi[/itex]. So cos(bx+ c) starts a period where bx+ c= 0 and ends at [itex]bx+ c= 2\pi[/itex]. Solving x, a period starts at [itex]x= -c/b[/itex] and ends at [itex]x= (2\pi- c)/b[/itex]. The "phase shift" is -c/b and the period is [itex](2\pi- c)/b-(-c/b)= 2\pi/b[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted