Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

By Crikey! Crocodile hunter is dead

1. Sep 4, 2006 #1
    just caught the last 1 second of news cast gotta learn more. Either he died or a big crocodile died. I liked the crocodile hunter, so don't want him to be dead, but if he is I hope a crocodile ate him.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You pretty much had to figure that one day something like this would get him.
  4. Sep 4, 2006 #3
    Sucks - Another Australian icon gone. That only leaves a few left with companies like Vegemite selling out.
  5. Sep 4, 2006 #4

I liked the guy's enthusiam through, very involved and somewhat childlike.
  6. Sep 4, 2006 #5
    I'm completely amazed. He'd already survived so many close calls I figured he was indestructible.
  7. Sep 4, 2006 #6

Rest in peace, mate :frown:
  8. Sep 4, 2006 #7
    Just saw the news on slashdot. I loved his croc/herp documentaries. :(
  9. Sep 4, 2006 #8
    Noooo.. :frown:
  10. Sep 4, 2006 #9
    farewell Mr. Irwin

Of all the dangerous animals this highly energetic and entertaining man has encountered...a freaking stingray....tragedy has no boundaries. We'll miss you Steve.
  11. Sep 4, 2006 #10
    Thats very sad news, I feel very sorry for his wife and children. What great adventure he had in his life. He will be greatly missed.
  12. Sep 4, 2006 #11

Staff: Mentor

13. Sep 4, 2006 #12
    Very sad news indeed :frown: :cry:. I have been watching his documentaries for the past many years and I am a great admirer of him and his wife. It was amazing to see his dedication and enthusiasm for animals and wildlife conservation. It was shocking for me when I heard this tragic news. He will be greatly missed (atleast by me).
  14. Sep 4, 2006 #13
    It's sad, but honestly, did anyone think he would make it as long as he did? The guy was a nut and would grab just about anything if you dared him to.
  15. Sep 4, 2006 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It reminds me of what they say about mountaineering:

"There are old climbers and there are bold climbers

But there are no old, bold climbers."

I too feel terrible for his wife and kid even though his death was what he lived for.
  16. Sep 4, 2006 #15
    The tragedy is all the worse when you've seen it coming...
  17. Sep 4, 2006 #16

Actually I was a bit sad to hear it. It was almost like I knew him I guess. :frown: Not to forget his two kids, and wife.
  18. Sep 4, 2006 #17
    What a Legend.
  19. Sep 4, 2006 #18

Homework Helper

I remember watching him on Animal Planet. It was a good show. Oh well, RIP Steve Irwin.
  20. Sep 4, 2006 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is really sad. I had always hoped he actually had more safety precautions in place than we saw on camera...you know, make it look good for the TV, but you really have some guy with a tranquilizer gun as back-up just off camera. I also never really expected he'd get killed on the job; I figured he'd wind up losing an arm or leg at some point and be taken out of commission, but never really expected something bad enough to kill him would happen. Seeing his show on Animal Planet always showed not just his respect and compassion for animals, but for the staff at the zoo too. I'm sure he'll be greatly missed by all who knew him.
  21. Sep 4, 2006 #20

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rest in Peace.

Steve Irwin.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?