1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

By equating the high-temperature limit of the above expression to the classical

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

According to the Debye theory of the specific heat of a three-dimensional solid, the internal vibrational energy of a volume V of a solid containing N atoms is:

U=A(T)[itex]\int^{x_{D}}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{x^{3}dx}{e^{x}-1}[/itex]

where x=[itex]\frac{\hbar\omega}{k_{B}T}[/itex] is the dimensionless form of the vibration frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]

a) What assumptions are made in the Debye theory about the distribution of frequency modes as a function of their wavevecdotr K?
    b) Derive an expression for the (dimensionless) Debye cutoff frequency x[itex]_{D}[/itex] in terms of these assumptions.
    c) By equating the high-temperature limit of the above expression to the classical three-dimensional result U=3Nk[itex]_{B}[/itex]T, deduce the unknown function A(T)
    d) Hence derive an expression for the low-temperature specific heat.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have done questions a) and b). I am stuck on c).

As T tends to infinity, surely x[itex]_{D}[/itex] tends to 0 because x[itex]_{D}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\hbar\omega_{D}}{k_{B}T}[/itex] according to my notes.

But surely they cannot expect me to integrate the above expression for U from 0 to 0?

Please help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted