1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

By what geometric theorem/logic are these two angles the same? Incline Plane Trig

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By what relation/reasoning are these two angles, theta, the same?

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6273/inclinedplane.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2
    Re: By what geometric theorem/logic are these two angles the same? Incline Plane Tri

[/URL]

similar triangles?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    Re: By what geometric theorem/logic are these two angles the same? Incline Plane Tri

By what reasoning?

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

well, a triangle is determined by 2 of its angles or the ratio between its sides; the two triangles could share a common angle if the other two angles are the same for instance (in this case, the 90 degrees and something else), or the length of the "sides" could be 1.5 / 2 = 3 /4

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5

The only features I can discern here, are two parallel lines( ceiling and base of triangle ), the sides of the incline, and the inclines angle Theta. Other than the parallel ceiling there is nothing that relates the rope to the incline.

In my mind if I move the strings hanging point left or right I see the angle changing. If I make the string longer or shorter I see the angle changing.

Am I missing something here?

7. Sep 18, 2009 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The angles are equal for the same reason that the wedge's height is 3 meters -- that's just the problem you're given.

8. Sep 18, 2009 #7

if you pulled the block back, the "adjacent" and hypotenuse sides of the triangle formed by the string and an imagined line would be stretched, and that would eliminate the common ratio of sides between the triangle and the imaginary triangle from the string. but the question gives you this information, at that position, the imaginary triangle and the actual triangle become similar triangles.

9. Sep 18, 2009 #8

That's what I'm thinking as well, thanks guys.

If anyone has a third opinion let me know.

10. Sep 18, 2009 #9

They're saying that the block happens to be at particular location, and the cord happens to have a particular length, where it becomes true that the two angles are equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook