1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bycicle riding - What power is required at the pedals

1. Jan 2, 2004 #1
    The power required at the pedals of these cycles at any speed on a level, smooth, hard surface, in still air can be expressed as:

W = Cv [K1 + K2 (Cv + Cw) ©÷ + 10.32 ¥Òm (s/100 + 1.01a/g)]

I found this equation, but I don't get what K1 and K2 is

Cw ¡æ speed of headwind in m/s
    ¥Òm ¡æ total mass of the rider + clothing + bicycle in kg
    a/g ¡æ bicycle¡¯s acceleration as a proportion of gravitational acceleration

Does anybody know what K1 and K2 are?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You started off by referring to "these cycles" without any explanation, used symbols that did not translate properly, and don't tell us where you got that equation.

No, no one is going to be able to tell you what "K1" and "K2" are. They clearly are intended to be constants but what constants depends on the specific problem. I recommend you go back to the book from which you got the formula. All constants should be defined there (you might need to read the entire section the formula is in to find them).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?