Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bye-bye Blockbuster Video

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Your late fees are waived: Blockbuster closes (cnn.com)

I don't think my wife and I ever rented a video. :uhh: We've never been really "into" movies, and seldom have enough time at home in the evening to sit down and watch one through. If we get bitten by the bug after we're both retired, I guess we'll just have to use Netflix et al. on our Apple TV box. We'd have to upgrade our Internet connection to get enough bandwidth to make it usable for serious video streaming, though.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is pretty natural for businesses to close which no longer provide a useful product or service.

Almost every DVD I rented from Blockbuster had playback issues during some parts due to scratches. I had to skip whole chapters quite often. Part of why I made the decision to go to online distribution only, about two years ago.

You don't need a ridiculously fast connection to watch movies. I'm on 3 Mbps DSL and I can watch Netflix just fine.

4. Nov 6, 2013 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Nov 6, 2013 #4
    Where do places like this go when they die? Are photo mats floating around somewhere in another dimension. I had some pictures that I forgot to pick up. Sorry that is just silly. It must be the wine I drank after my last post in the American Dream thread.

6. Nov 6, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I only ever went to Blockbuster when I needed game cards for this MMO called Cabal that I used to play back in junior high/high school xP

7. Nov 6, 2013 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Back when I was a kid I rented tons of SNES and N64 games from them. Those were fun times.

8. Nov 6, 2013 #7

jtbell

We have what most people would consider a ridiculously slow connection: 0.75 Mbps "DSL Lite". :tongue: It's not even fast enough to watch most YouTube videos. When I find something I want to watch for more than a minute or two, I download it with a Firefox plugin and play it offline.

That connection started out at $15 per month, then AT&T raised it to $25 about a year ago. When we feel really cramped by it, we'll upgrade to a faster service. Right now it's not a high priority.

9. Nov 7, 2013 #8
    I think I've used BlockBuster once in my life.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  10. Nov 13, 2013 #9

jtbell

11. Nov 13, 2013 #10

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I used to rent video games for the PlayStation 1 from Blockbuster all the time as a little kid. Great memories; felt like a kid in a candy store.

12. Nov 13, 2013 #11
    South Park called this years ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook