DUARS Satellite Re-Entry: Impressive Light Show & Potential Debris Threat

In summary, the UARS satellite is expected to enter the Earth's atmosphere this weekend, sooner than originally predicted by NASA. While the exact trajectory is still uncertain, it is estimated that anyone in the vicinity of the satellite's return will witness an impressive light show. However, there is a 1 in 3200 chance of being hit by debris from the satellite, made of titanium, aluminum, steel, and beryllium, which weighs around 1,170 pounds. This probability is not specific to individuals, but rather the chances that at least one person somewhere on the planet will be hit, given the current uncertainty. As the satellite's strike zone shrinks over the next few days, the probability will rise for those still within
Jimmy Snyder said:
You're going to look pretty foolish when that asteroid comes barrelling down your telescope right into your eye.
It is the size of a locomotive, choo choo choo...

Rhody... o:)

Poor Evo, our official "End of Days" magnet... sigh...

Physics news on Phys.org
rhody said:
It is the size of a locomotive, choo choo choo...
That's why there's a lower limit on the diameter of the telescope.

Hope your luck is sill running Evo.

At 13.2 metric tons (14.6 tons), the Phobos-Ground is one of the heaviest spacecraft ever to plummet to Earth, considerably larger than the two defunct satellites that fell to Earth last fall and landed in the water.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gy6Nvaqpn7_3CE4SVmtqblQKdvlg?docId=076fafc9fafa4d5592ecb49561dcb544

dlgoff said:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gy6Nvaqpn7_3CE4SVmtqblQKdvlg?docId=076fafc9fafa4d5592ecb49561dcb544
From the article, "There is no reason to panic."

There seems to be a missing a qualifier here. It should have said "There is no reason to panic if you don't live close to Evo."

dlgoff said:
Hope your luck is sill running Evo.

You think they'd find another company?

Phobos-Ground marked Russia's first planned foray beyond Earth's orbit since a botched 1996 robotic mission to Mars. That probe, designed by the same Lavochkin company, crashed shortly after launch due to an engine failure. The firm also built two other Phobos-bound probes that failed in 1988.

D H said:

There seems to be a missing a qualifier here. It should have said "There is no reason to panic if you don't live close to Evo."
I don't have a good track record. A satellite is one of the few things I haven't been hit by...yet.

Take care Evo, this one is headed for the Mars plant in Topeka.

Jimmy Snyder said:
:rofl:

D H said:

Jimmy Snyder said:

Oh crap. I'm located between Evo and Topeka.

dlgoff said:
Oh crap. I'm located between Evo and Topeka.
You might want to check your insurance policies. Just sayin'.

The good news is that if we ever have a potentially hazardous object on a collision course, we can save the planet by jettisoning Evo into space. :biggrin:

jhae2.718 said:
The good news is that if we ever have a potentially hazardous object on a collision course, we can save the planet by jettisoning Evo into space. :biggrin:
Buwahahahah!

Oh, wait... :uhh:

*hides before Evo can reach the banning gun*

jhae2.718 said:
*hides before Evo can reach the banning gun*
You are a smart person, but you will slip up..eventually :devil:

Rought roh... http://www.ecorazzi.com/2012/01/21/giant-solar-flare-may-spark-auroras-tonight-across-u-s/ we go again, but instead of junk it's plasma this time, be sure to look north tonight, maybe to catch a glimpse of the aurora borealis.

Rhody...

P.S. Stay low and move fast jh jinking as you run. Keep a small supply to stones to misdirect Evo's aim, it worked for me in the past. :redface:

Heads up. Be careful which bus you get on Friday.

Asteroid Evo.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Heads up. Be careful which bus you get on Friday.

Asteroid Evo.
It missed. It means there's still one out there with my name on it. :frown:

Evo said:
It missed. It means there's still one out there with my name on it. :frown:

I'm thinking I may have to put some distance between us. :rolleyes:

dlgoff said:
I'm thinking I may have to put some distance between us. :rolleyes:
:cry:

I can't get any farther east unless I go to Canada! Whaaa!

Whispers to the others: let's get her and shoot her into space. That'll rid us of asteroids.

Oh hai, Evo! :tongue2:

micromass said:
Whispers to the others: let's get her and shoot her into space. That'll rid us of asteroids.

Oh hai, Evo! :tongue2:
Et tu micro? :frown:

Evo said:
Et tu micro? :frown:

I'm nice :biggrin:

I understand you're a bit worried. Just take a seat over here. What is that?? This seat looks like a rocket?? Nooooo, you're just a bit tired.
Just sit down a take a little nap, I'm going to close the rocket door *cough* I mean bedroom door.

OK guys, launch it!

micromass said:
I'm nice :biggrin:

I understand you're a bit worried. Just take a seat over here. What is that?? This seat looks like a rocket?? Nooooo, you're just a bit tired.
Just sit down a take a little nap, I'm going to close the rocket door *cough* I mean bedroom door.

OK guys, launch it!
:cry: You forgot my woobie, I can't sleep without my woobie.

Evo said:
:cry:
Actually, the more I think about it, you're kind of an space-junk asset. Thanks to the concerns of our members, I get early warnings. So I'm staying. :smile:

Back