• Start date
Borek
Mentor

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
232 is less catchy?

Well, how about some breaking news headlines like "internet inferno imminent"

If we start praying to the lord's of the internet perhaps they could help us to avoid this calamity! Why could we not foresee how we would ravage our digital environment with such poor management of the online environment...

Oh! Great lord's of the internet, come down from Big Ben and shine your green LED of internet access on us that we may bask in the blue LED of good wireless connection.

maybe we could invade another country and rescue their IP addresses from the terrorists

less than two hours to zero, I would estimate.

Hepth
Gold Member
The number is going up? 16 mil right now.

Evo
Mentor
The number is going up? 16 mil right now.
Twenty million now. The site is not to be taken seriously, it has nothing to do with available IP addresses.

It looks like no name website:
http://inetcore.com/

*no, actually I got redirected. Earlier, I saw error page in Japanese. But, I don't understand if it is a fake home page or company is small (thus does not anything other than one page message).

Last edited:
hey, don't forget that a lot of IPs are allocated dynamically :wink:

Evo
Mentor
hey, don't forget that a lot of IPs are allocated dynamically :wink:
But they're allocated out of already assigned blocks, so there is no impact.

And the last blocks have been allocated. This just showed up on Slashdot:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/02/01/0036227/Last-Available-IPv4-Blocks-Allocated

"Following on from APNIC's earlier assessment that they would need to request the last available /8 blocks, they have now been allocated 39/8 and 106/8, triggering ARIN's final distribution of blocks to the RIRs. According to the release, 'APNIC expects normal allocations to continue for a further three to six months.'"

I think it's pretty lame that we've gotten to this point. It's not like it's a surprise this was coming, and yet just about everyone responsible has ignored it completely. That's people for you.

Evo
Mentor
And the last blocks have been allocated. This just showed up on Slashdot:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/02/01/0036227/Last-Available-IPv4-Blocks-Allocated

"Following on from APNIC's earlier assessment that they would need to request the last available /8 blocks, they have now been allocated 39/8 and 106/8, triggering ARIN's final distribution of blocks to the RIRs. According to the release, 'APNIC expects normal allocations to continue for a further three to six months.'"

I think it's pretty lame that we've gotten to this point. It's not like it's a surprise this was coming, and yet just about everyone responsible has ignored it completely. That's people for you.
They can ping the class c's and take back anything that's not active. I have ISP's that have multiple class c's and they must be active to keep them.

Zryn
Gold Member
Anything that's not active ... like in Egypt :smile:

I have to say, my first reaction was still... well... that's why we have IPv6! I'm glad Evo was there... I would have been confuuuuuuused otherwise.

Anything that's not active ... like in Egypt :smile:
see post #6 :tongue2:

see post #6 :tongue2:
O. M. G.

24... Season NINE: Jack Bauer spends 23 hours torturing a roomful of IT workers in Egypt until he realizes that you can't put the internet in a rear naked choke. The last hour will be him making apologies and then telling people about IPv6.

Just cut me in on an agent's fee... I'm guessing it'll HEEEUUUUUGGGGEEE. :wink:

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have to say, my first reaction was still... well... that's why we have IPv6! I'm glad Evo was there... I would have been confuuuuuuused otherwise.
So...what happened to IPv5 :confused:?

Research was abandoned.

And here I was hoping for an internet apocalypse.

2 pages, and you're the first person with the um... well (not balls)... "ovarian fortitude" to ask that very obvious question! I think you should get a confetti shower and cash prizes now. :wink:

2 pages, and you're the first person with the um... well (not balls)... "ovarian fortitude" to ask that very obvious question! I think you should get a confetti shower and cash prizes now. :wink:
they were obviously just trying to sync up with IE 6. so might as well skip to IPv8 now.

they were obviously just trying to sync up with IE 6. so might as well skip to IPv8 now.
That's why I still own a Motorola portable phone from the early 90's! :wink:

Seriously, I just read an article that the average "smart phone" lifecycle is 4 MONTHS, down from 3-5 YEARS. If it weren't for need, I think your joke would be bloody real!