Can You Bypass ECU Sensors with Resistors in Automotive Projects?

In summary, a new member is looking for help with a project involving bypassing a sensor on a coilover suspension system. The sensor is 2.3 ohms and runs on a 12 volt system. The resistor is intended to be a 3 ohm, but the power dissipated by the sensor might cause a problem if it is placed on a 12 volt circuit.
audiguy
Hi,

I'm a new member looking for a little help.

I'm working on an automotive suspension project where we replace "electronic damping control" struts with a coilover that has no sensor. I'm looking to bypass the sensor and trick the ECU to thinking they are still hooked up. The resistance of each damper is 2.3 ohms and runs on a 12 volt system, with a 2 wire connection to each. Could I run a 3ohm resistor on each wire into a diode to trick the ECU? Any thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Not knowing the specifics of the setup or even the sensor, I'd say it's probably worth a try (as long as the resistor is put somewhere where, if it starts on fire, nothing bad happens).

Ideally, you'd figure out the response of the sensor--does the resistance change, is it actually a coil / something else, what's the voltage across the sensor, etc. Since ECUs are usually pretty well documented (assuming you have the service manual, or better yet, the manual for the ECU itself), you may not even have to do any characterization / testing.

Once you've figured out what the sensor is (and how it works) it becomes much easier to replace. Unless you already know this and are asking on the assumption that we also know (which we don't).

EDIT: You can find a 1W 2.3 ohm resistor on Digikey, but you really need to find out how much power the resistor of the sensor dissipates.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=2.3ACCT-ND

I'm concerned about the fact that you are talking about using a 3 ohm resistor for a 12 v circuit. I think we need to know more about the sensor that you are talking about. What does this sensor read? Its quite possible that the resistor will catch on fire as the previous post warns about. You might need a 10w wire coil resistor or something similar.

1. What is the purpose of your automotive project?

The purpose of my automotive project is to design and build a new car that is more fuel efficient and environmentally friendly.

2. What experience do you have with automotive projects?

I have a background in mechanical engineering and have previously worked on several automotive projects, including designing and testing engines and developing new technologies for electric vehicles.

3. What specific help do you need for your project?

I am seeking guidance on the best materials and technologies to use for my project, as well as advice on how to optimize the design for maximum efficiency and performance.

4. How long do you anticipate the project will take?

Based on my initial research and calculations, I estimate that the project will take approximately 1-2 years to complete, depending on the availability of resources and any unexpected challenges that may arise.

5. What kind of team do you need for this project?

I am looking for individuals with expertise in automotive engineering, materials science, and environmental sustainability to join my team and contribute to the project.