Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BYU Physics professor Steve Jones and 9/11

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    I know you guys are going to hate me for posting this because it has caused problems on the board before resulting in the thread being locked down, but this one is pretty interesting. So I sincerely apologize beforehand to Ivan and Evo. Please don't hate me for bringing this up again.:confused: :cry: :confused:

So here it goes.

A physics professor from BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY, Steven E. Jones is claiming that explosives brought down WTC tower 7. In a paer posted on the web titled Why Indeed Did the WTC Buildings Collapse?, Dr. Jones establishes his hypothesis for why he thinks the towers collapsed. To cut to the chase he does not believe that the towers fell according to the official story. On the contrary, he hypotheiszes that they were brought down by demolition. Here is a link to an interview on the 'Situation Room' with Tucker Carlson. It is about six minutes long.

Here is a link to his CV so you can check his credentials which are pretty impressive. It appears that he is involved with investigations into cold fusion, though this will discredit him to some.

More articles:

This one is from DesrtNews.com. So far the only credible write I have seen yet.

This one is from The Arctic Beacon, though I have doubts to it's credibility mainly because it fringes with a lot of conspiracy stuff.

That is all the articles I have found so far regarding this professor and his hypotheis.

The question that has to be asked is why the professor is risking his reputation and funding by going public with this. Is he trying to destroy his career? Is he laying prospects to sell books? Is he just tired od academia and using this as an out?

NOTE: Due to the sensitivity of this topic and the problems caused by it in the past please refrain from character assault, hyperbola, wild conspiracy allegations, insults, inuendo, and the general stupidity we all engage in when tempers become flared. The reason for this forum is to scrutinize and debunk claims. If personal attacks proceed from this thread then I advocate closing it. Otherwise please post why you agree or disagree with the professor.

DISCLAIMER: I am not advocating nor dismissing this professors hypothesis nor am I advocating wild 'conspiracy theories'. I am posting this thread for further scrutiny on all sides of this complicated topic that has never been properly settled, IMHO. I only ask that you present your opinion and why you support it. I am in no way an expert on demolitions, skyscraper construction, or theories on why the towers fell. Hence why I can not take a position on any theories regarding 9/11!

Please Ivan and Evo, do not hate me for bringing this up again!:uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember Jones from the cold fusion fiasco in '86-87. He had been working on a theory to produce cold fusion when P+F went public. IIRC, his idea was to replace the electron in a H atom with a muon, which he thought would create the conditions for fusion...? Anyway, his work was respectable AFAIK.

Sorry Polyb but this is a closed subject. I don't see any way to make an exception here without getting flooded with conspiracy theories.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?