Comparing C^2 to R^4: Complex Lines vs Real Planes

• Thread starter bsaucer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the complex plane C^2, which has two complex dimensions and is similar to the real plane R^4, which has four real dimensions. There is a one-to-one correspondence between points in C^2 and R^4. The question is whether there is a similar correspondence between "complex lines" in C^2 and "real planes" in R^4. The conversation then delves into the concept of isocline planes and how they relate to each other in both C^2 and R^4. Additionally, the question of whether subsets of real dimensions 1 and 3 have significance in complex algebraic geometry is also discussed.
bsaucer
I'm trying to learn about the "complex plane" C^2, having two complex dimensions, which is supposedly like R^4, which has four real dimensions. I would assume there is a one-to-one correspondance between points in C^2 and the points in R^4.

My question at this point is about comparing the "complex lines", C^1, in C^2, and the "real planes", R^2, in R^4. Is there a one-to-one correspondance between the C^1's in C^2 and R^2's in R^4? Or are there more planes in R^4 than "complex lines" in C^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a complex line is the solution set to an equation such as
az + bw = c​
where (z,w) are the (complex) coordinates, and a,b,c are complex.

If we break z and w into real and imaginary parts, what is the corresponding equation form for those? Can an equation for every plane be put into that form?

However, I think you can do better if you're clever. Any two complex points determine a unique complex line, right? What does that statement translate to in R^4? Is it a true statement?

I was already thinking about the one line through two points part. Let me use terminology by Parker Manning. I would guess that C^2 would include include all planes in R^4, that include:

A reference plane
All planes parallel to the reference plane
And planes isocline to the reference plane in a certain sense (left or right, but not both).

In this set, any two planes are either parallel or isocline in the same sense, including planes that are absolutely perpendicular to each other. Any one of the planes in the set could be the "reference plane" mentioned above.

The set would not include:
Planes that intersect in a line
Planes that are "half-parallel" (or "skew")
Planes that are isocline in the "wrong" sense.

Am I right? Or am I on the wrong track?

One more question: Is it meaningful to talk about R^1's (real lines) and R^3's (real hyperplanes) as figures within C^2? How would those sets compare to the same figures in R^4? And is there such a thing as "half a complex dimension"?

Isocline is not a term I'm familiar with, at least used this way. I haven't thought about how a real description of complex lines would look, beyond simply splitting complex linears equation into pairs of real equations.

As for subsets of real dimension 1 or 3, (AFAIK) those don't really play a part in complex algebraic geometry. I believe the same is true in the analytic analog too.

Two planes (with a point in common) are "isocline" if every ray in one plane (emanating from the common point) forms a constant angle with the other plane. This constant angle can be acute or right. When it's right, the planes are absolutely perpendicular.

If two isocline planes meet at the origin, they intersect the unit hypersphere about the origin in a pair of equidistant great circles (Clifford parallels).

Two planes in general are not usually isocline. Assuming they meet at a point, the acute angle between them can vary from a minimum value to a maximum value as the ray in one plane progresses around the point. If the maximum angle is right, the planes are half-perpendicular. A pair of non-isocline planes would intersect the unit hypersphere in two great circles that were not equidistant.

1. What is the difference between C^2 and R^4?

C^2 and R^4 are both mathematical notations used to represent different number systems. C^2 represents the complex plane, which consists of two dimensions (x and y) and numbers that include both real and imaginary components. R^4 represents the real plane, which also consists of two dimensions (x and y) but only includes real numbers.

2. How are complex lines different from real planes?

Complex lines, represented by C^2, have a different structure and properties compared to real planes, represented by R^4. Complex lines allow for the representation of numbers with both real and imaginary components, while real planes only allow for real numbers. Additionally, the geometry and equations of complex lines are different from those of real planes.

3. What are some practical applications of comparing C^2 to R^4?

The comparison of C^2 to R^4 has various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, complex lines are used to represent the motion of particles in quantum mechanics, while real planes are used to represent the motion of objects in classical mechanics. In engineering, complex lines are used to analyze electrical circuits, while real planes are used to analyze mechanical systems. In economics, complex lines are used to model economic systems with multiple variables, while real planes are used to model systems with only real variables.

4. How do the dimensions of C^2 and R^4 affect their representations?

Both C^2 and R^4 have two dimensions, but the numbers represented in each system are different. In C^2, the dimensions represent the real and imaginary components, while in R^4, the dimensions represent two real variables. This difference in dimensions affects the geometry and equations used to represent and manipulate numbers in each system.

5. Is one system, C^2 or R^4, better than the other?

Neither C^2 nor R^4 is better than the other as they serve different purposes and have different properties. The choice of which system to use depends on the specific problem or application at hand. For example, in certain physics problems, C^2 may be more appropriate for representing complex phenomena, while in engineering problems, R^4 may be more suitable for representing real-world systems.