Choose C++ and Fortran: Advice Needed

In summary, the speaker is considering taking both C++ and Fortran for their program, but is underwhelmed with their advisor and seeking advice. Other speakers suggest focusing on C++ and learning Fortran on their own if needed. They also mention that it is not necessary to take courses, as one can learn on their own.
LeftMyHeartInErebor
My program only requires that I take C++ or Fortran. It seems like most students I have asked are only taking C++, I'm thinking of doing both. I'm planning on asking my advisor as well, but so far I've been really underwhelmed with my meetings with him. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you learn one, you can learn the other. You're more likely to use C++ (especially if you wander outside of physics). Also, get a new advisor :-)

Yes, no sense in taking courses in both, do C++, pick up Fortran on your own if you need to for some reason.

Learn it all by yourself, nowadays no need for courses...

Awesome thanks!

1. Why should I choose C++ and Fortran for my scientific work?

C++ and Fortran are both high-performance programming languages that are widely used in scientific computing. They are designed to handle complex mathematical and scientific calculations efficiently, making them the preferred choice for scientific applications.

2. Can I use other programming languages for scientific work?

Yes, there are other programming languages that are commonly used in scientific computing, such as Python and MATLAB. However, C++ and Fortran are often preferred for their speed and ability to handle large datasets.

3. Are there any specific features of C++ and Fortran that make them suitable for scientific work?

C++ and Fortran have several features that make them ideal for scientific computing. These include support for parallel processing, built-in data types for complex numbers and arrays, and the ability to easily interface with other languages and libraries.

4. Do I need to learn both C++ and Fortran for scientific work?

No, it is not necessary to learn both languages. However, having knowledge of both can be beneficial as they each have their own strengths and are often used together in scientific applications.

5. Can I use C++ and Fortran for any type of scientific work?

Yes, C++ and Fortran are versatile languages that can be used for a wide range of scientific applications, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are particularly well-suited for applications that require high-speed computations and large amounts of data.